High demand for the good seats at NBA Finals in Miami

Jun 6, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game One Getty Images

If you were willing to sit in the Bob Uecker seats, the nosebleed ones at the top of the AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami, Monday you could have gotten tickets for face value. They didn’t instantly sell out.

As of Thursday afternoon, StubHub had tickets for the game for $159 if you didn’t mind sitting way up high.

But, if you want to be close to the action, it’s going to cost you.

The Miami Herald said this matchup has ticket brokers seeing a lot of demand.

The explanation: Ticket demand from international buyers is high due to interest in Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, two top foreign-born players for the Spurs, according to a Miami ticket broker.

“Usually the Spurs are a bad draw for us,” said ticket broker Michael Lipman, whose White Glove International handles requests from high-end clients — everyone from Arab sheikhs to Justin Bieber. “But I’m getting slaughtered from professional athletes — people with relationships with those guys — from around the world. I just sold some courtsides for $17,500.”

As in per ticket.

And you thought the Spurs wouldn’t be a draw.

As of Thursday afternoon, StubHub had multiple listings for tickets in the first 10 rows of regular season (not courtside) for $1,500 to $2,000 a seat. So that is more reasonable than courtside, I guess. It’s a little rich for my blood.

1. jackntorres - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Compared to SB tickets, $159 sounds quite reasonable for the worst seats in the house.

• 4thquartermagic - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Good point. However this isn’t a “do or die” game like the Super Bowl, its a series.
      A game 7 might fetch a bit more.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I was thinking the same. I’ve never had a chance to see an NBA Finals game here in Charlotte, but I might scrounge up some dough for an upper level seat. NBA arenas are small enough that even the worst seats aren’t that bad. (Unless you’re a Bobcats fan in which case you really only go to a game BECAUSE you have great seats.)

2. bucrightoff - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

There’s nothing scalpers love more than a town full of wanting to be seen bandwagoners, because like LA its more important to be seen than to see the actual game.

3. jjthesportsguy - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Must be nice to throw up a few thousand for seats in the first 10 rows for 2 hours of entertainment. To be honest though, watching from home on the couch with a 60 inch TV and some brews in hand is a tough seat to beat.

• 1historian - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

tough? Hell no – imfriggingpossible

• jjthesportsguy - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I live in Milwaukee and was born in Green Bay, having been at sporting events through the midwest, California, Florida, and one in New York I can say that Lambeau Field is the only experience that beats a decked out man cave.

4. fanofevilempire - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I got my seats for free, right in front of my 55″ and no lines to the bathroom.
    I stocked up on food too. suckers!

5. jzone954 - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Bandwagon haters > bandwagon fans

Like how many of you “real fans” are spurs hopefuls because you ( for no apparent reason) “hate” the heat??
    Believe it or not…Heat have a true fan base…..are there richies in Miami who attend the game because there a great show and claim to he fans?? Sure…..
    But the complaining and moaning and hate for heat and now for some reason there fanbase has become LAUGHABLE

It’s gotten to the point that laker fans would be cheering on Boston is they were playing Miami……

• scorp16 - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Agree.
      Miami much like LA is an event town. The Heat are an event moreso than basketball game to much of the population down here. We the true fans will always be lumped in with the ‘in’ crowd. It just goes with the territory. I guess they just can’t understand how anybody could route for White Thunder, Seikely, GMoney, Timmy, Zo, Harold Miner, Eddie Jones and the rest of them. Just a few short years ago I supported a 15 win team. I remember when a $15 ticket for the nosebleed along with a well timed $20 to an usher got me 4th row. Don’t let too much of the haters thought process sour you. It’s mainly just jealousy. They think by using the word “bandwagon” it increases their credibility. Ironically . They jump on the bandwagon of any team that faces the Heat. It’s the same names with the same idiotic posts continually talking up different teams.

6. digitaldonnie - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Best part is, they can sell them to real fans for the first half. Then sell them to the front runner fake fans that show up in tue 3rd

7. dolphindubs - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Haters be hatin’. Us fans, both die-hard loyals AND bandwagoneers, will keep on cheering for our team. So y’all do your thing, and we’ll do ours. And we’ll see who will have smiles on their faces when the dust gets settled!

8. gmsingh - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

“More money than sense” springs to mind.

9. logisticalvoices - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM

@jzone954:

Just a bit of advice: take a breath and enjoy yourself. Your team is in the NBA Finals. However 28 other teams’ fans didn’t make it, so they are going to pick one of the two left to root for. Most are going to pick the Heat, sorry. If people hating the Heat fires you up that much, stop reading the comments.

10. jzone954 - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM

@ logisticalvoices

It’s nothing really to do with being fired up, at the end of the day it’s just basketball, just a game…..
    I am enjoying it to the fullest, doesn’t last forever
    Ever since Bosh and James came to the heat the hate they have received and the Heat fanbase has made me laugh, not arrogantly either…..but again. It’s just a game…..but thanks for the advise….

11. jzone954 - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Also….GOD bless you sir. You and yours

12. patfic15 - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Its cool. If the Heat go down by 10 or more..those lower seats start opening up.

13. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Watching these games on TV, I’ve become convinced that blackpeoplemeet.com is much much more fun than christianmingle.com

• patfic15 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Lol.

14. sportsnut101 - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM

It’s better on tv anyway

15. much6in23the24clutch7 - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I think 159 is reasonable for an nba finals especially considering that 90 dollars gets you the same seats (nosebleeds) during the regular season . And @1972wasalongtimeago lol I completely agree !

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches