Jun 6, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
Manu Ginobili is a free agent this summer.
It’s been assumed by many he would return to the Spurs for a 12th season, and that is likely the outcome. However, at what will be age 36, after having battled injuries the past few seasons, with his game clearly slipping some, might he hang it up and retire?
He would not definitively say no, but he sounded like a guy who wants to come back in speaking with ESPN at shootaround.
“I don’t know,” Ginobili told Rachel Nichols of ESPN. “I think so, I think so. The chances are, like, yes, I will keep playing and probably with the Spurs. But I am just going to wait until this is over, then in July sit with my family and think about it and decide.”
I think he returns on like a two year deal. He will take a healthy pay cut from the $14.1 million he got this season, but I don’t think it’s about the money. It’s about the fun the Spurs had these playoffs and how he — and Tim Duncan and Tony Parker and Gregg Popovich — have had fun and don’t want to just hang it up yet.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50