Tracy McGrady says he may retire after NBA Finals

Jun 5, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT

Tracy McGrady AP

Tracy McGrady has made it all the way to the NBA Finals. Finally.

One of the most promising players of his generation — a player of amazing talent, a two-tine scoring champion and seven-time All-Star who has battled injuries in recent years — joined the Spurs mid-season. The guy who never made it out of the first round before now finds himself getting a little mop-up duty (16 total minutes in 4 playoff games) on a team that has made it to the big dance. He should soak in the experience.

And when that dance is over, McGrady says his career may be as well.

McGrady turned 34 last a couple weeks ago, and after years of battling knee and shoulder injuries he spent much of the last season playing in China (where he is still a hero because of his years along side Yao Ming).

Maybe it’s time. If it is, we need to celebrate the player that was, because that player was one of the most entertaining to watch we have ever seen.

1. gatordontplay - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM

retiring?? I just bought my tmac spurs jersey (no lie) and tickets to game to support the legend.. hopefully he has one Robert horry type moment in thr finals to call it a career

• LilTmac2003 - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I do hope he does some exciting things in the Finals. Doubt he’ll get lots of playing time but you never know what could happen.

I’ve been a Tmac fan since…well just look at my username.

2. flyrocket31 - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Noooooooooo. He was my favorite player when he came to the league. He was going toe to toe with Kobe before injuries. He still has game and can go a couple years in the League still. i mean, Juwan Howard is still on the HEAT lol

• badintent - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Howard hands out high fives and towels. Tracy should do the same.

3. xLith - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Not a Spurs fan at all (go Rockets!) but if they’re going to win a championship, I would like to see T-Mac get a ring from it.

4. patfic15 - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Has he played more a min since coming to SA? Hope he finds a great way to exit.

5. ocgunslinger - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I never liked him but I congratulate him on a great career.

6. mlbbal52 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Two tine?

• norcal031 - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Don’t forget about this gem, McGrady turned 34 last a couple weeks ago…..

7. tdstevie - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I remember when I was a little kid all I wanted was to have a pair of his shoes…the T-Mac’s

8. sportsnut101 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He should play in this series he can play a little to guard lebron

9. htownred34 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I’d love to see Tmac win a ring, probably my favorite player I have got to seen play especially since his prime was with the rockets…

10. loungefly74 - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM

a lot of thoughts come to mind about T-Mac…if Kobe did not have his titles, would he be more associated with tmac?…there is also the work ethic. tmac was a little lackadaisical on his workout and game. did the guy have potential? absolutely. but he just lacked some major qualities…leadership being one of them. I group him in with guys like stevie franchise, starbury, penny, vince carter…guys who could have been great but fell short. he was part of that scene in the NBA of players who were more about flash but no substance. sorry for ripping him, I’m happy for him and I hope he gets his ring but he was never “one of my guys”…

11. golfrangeman - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I thought he retired like 3 years ago

12. p31squared - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Never understood what all the hype was about with McGrady. Kind of like Melo in my eyes. Sure, they can score. But that’s. About. It.

13. jbeagles23 - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Tmac in his prime was better than melo and except for injuries he could’ve been great

14. anhdazman - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Piggy back ring riding the pine. Hey, at least it’s more than what Karl Malone got and his feeble attempt with the Lakers.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches