Stephen Jackson not fretting release from Spurs because he ‘got my money’

Jun 5, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT

Stephen Jackson, DeQuan Jones

While playing for under $700,000, Stephen Jackson helped the Spurs win the 2003 title. A free agent that offseason, Jackson wanted to be rewarded for his efforts, and San Antonio offered a three-year, $10 million contract. Jackson hesitated, and the Spurs yanked the offer, leaving Jackson with no better option than a one-year, $1 million contract with the Hawks.

But Jackson proved his value in Atlanta and netted a big contract with the Pacers the next year and an even bigger extension from the Warriors that paid him through this season, the final dollars come from the Spurs.

So, while San Antonio is playing in the Finals after waiving Jackson late this season, he believes he had the last laugh. Buck Harvey of the San Antonio News-Express:

Any regrets, he was asked?

“Nope,” he said. “Got my money.”

Check out Harvey’s column for more details into Jackson’s thinking, but a couple highlights:

Jackson believes he’s better than Manu Ginobili and Danny Green.

Jackson said his release “was best for me so I wouldn’t go crazy.”

1. goraidersgospurs - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I won’t bash or say anything negative about S.Jack, everytime he suit up for the Spurs he gave his best…Good Luck with your next job Stephen!!!

• don444 - Jun 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Nah, I’m not as gracious as you apparently are. The Spurs got tired of his childish whining in regards to playing time and generally a**hole behavior, so they unceremoniously jettisoned him even though they would have preferred not to at the time. Two months later they find themselves in the NBA Finals without having to deal with his daily annoyances, in essence validating the decision in its entirety, so what else can he say in light of that? Teams would readily pay for all kind of dead weight on their roster to disappear if they could be assured that the moves would ultimately facilitate their reaching the Finals at season’s end. Money is wonderful so good for him (the Spurs front office is well aware that NBA contracts represent guaranteed money when they hand them out you know), but the Spurs are the real winners in that scenario regardless of what Jacko has to say about it publicly.

2. asimonetti88 - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

His comments illustrate exactly what his motivation is. As a Lakers fan, I dislike the Spurs, but one thing is clear: they are all about winning. Jackson doesn’t share that same desire and that’s why he is not playing in the Finals right now.

3. azarkhan - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Max respect for Capt Jack; his toughness, defensive prowess and ability to make big shots have never been in question. But I don’t believe him. He’s a competitor and I’m sure he wishes he was contending for a championship with the Spurs, as I do.

4. sportsnut101 - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Pop was dumb for letting him go. Now Leonard is hurt n might not be able to play long minutes against James Not saying that capt jack would stop lebron. But jack was only one who showed up against okc last year

Jack has experience. He is better then Manu. Manu always hurt n can’t play def. green has got way better this yr n fits the system perfect but not better then jack.

I like jack swag. Bulls could use that def

5. teambringitstrong - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

asimonetti88 – Jun 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

—————————————————————————————————————–
    Where did it say his motivation wasn’t winning? He didn’t want to defer to Manu Ginobli or Danny Green. If that’s not competing and winning then I don’t know what is. But he can’t fret over being released b/c he ‘got my money’.
    As Laker fans we need to be more concerned about making sure D Minus doesn’t return.

6. jzone954 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Yea but something isn’t being said, Pop let him go for reasons not being said…..I know he’s been a hot head in the past , thinking he still in the streets of Compton, so if that the case, there’s 2 dudes I know who don’t play those game. Pop is one and the other is Belicheck.

7. patfic15 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Sure he’s not.

8. anhdazman - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM

His time is about done in the NBA. Headcase where he thinks more highly of himself then the team does. Soon to be another Sprewell clone.

9. kavika6 - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

“was best for me so I wouldn’t go crazy.”

Way too late for that.

10. fm31970 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM

You were replaced by Tracy McGrady, Jackson. That should speak volumes about how valuable you were/are to the Spurs.

11. watermelon1 - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Why couldn’t the warriors keep baron Davis and Stephen Jackson for two more years? That was one of the most entertaining teams to watch. All they needed was a big man.

• don444 - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

lol You say that as if it would have led to a title or two. No, you should forever cease pining away for that as you’ve missed out on much more important things in your life in case you don’t realize it.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches