Jun 5, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Stephen Curry loves the Warriors. The Warriors love Stephen Curry.
Curry just led Golden State to only its second postseason berth since 1994, and to top it off, the Warriors upset the Nuggets in the first round.
Just four years into his career, Curry has become one of the NBA’s best and most-exciting players, and he has already shown strong signs of becoming the best 3-point shooter of all time.
Can the honeymoon last forever? Curry sure hopes so.
I ask him Tuesday if he can see himself playing for a team other than Golden State.
“I can’t,” he says.
Curry talks about the four-year $44 million extension he signed seven months ago that kicks in next season. He’ll be 29 when the contract expires.
“I know that not many players play their whole career for one team in one city,” says Curry. “I don’t see a better place to play.”
Plenty of players say this, because what else can they say when asked that question? Not everyone actually ends up wanting to stay forever, and even fewer have the ability to make it happen even if they want to.
Just eight active players who’ve been in the league for at least 10 years – Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem – have spent their entire career with the same team. What do they all have in common? They’ve won championships.
Want staying power? Win a title.
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 2
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54