Stephen Curry wants to retire a Warrior

Jun 5, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT

Warriors' Curry is congratulated by fans in the Warriors' overtime win over the Spurs during Game 4 of their NBA Western Conference semi-final playoff basketball game in Oakland

Stephen Curry loves the Warriors. The Warriors love Stephen Curry.

Curry just led Golden State to only its second postseason berth since 1994, and to top it off, the Warriors upset the Nuggets in the first round.

Just four years into his career, Curry has become one of the NBA’s best and most-exciting players, and he has already shown strong signs of becoming the best 3-point shooter of all time.

Can the honeymoon last forever? Curry sure hopes so.

Tom Sorensen of The Charlotte Observer:

I ask him Tuesday if he can see himself playing for a team other than Golden State.

“I can’t,” he says.

Curry talks about the four-year $44 million extension he signed seven months ago that kicks in next season. He’ll be 29 when the contract expires.

“I know that not many players play their whole career for one team in one city,” says Curry. “I don’t see a better place to play.”

Plenty of players say this, because what else can they say when asked that question? Not everyone actually ends up wanting to stay forever, and even fewer have the ability to make it happen even if they want to.

Just eight active players who’ve been in the league for at least 10 years – Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem – have spent their entire career with the same team. What do they all have in common? They’ve won championships.

Want staying power? Win a title.

1. dubsgiantsniners - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

“Just eight active players who’ve been in the league for at least 10 years – Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem”

as the song goes, one of these guys is not like the other ones…

2. rickyspanish - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I like Curry, if I were a Warriors a fan, I’d be proud to have this cat on my favorite team.

3. 49faithful - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Do it warriors!!! Give him 10 years right now..

• nogoodtomedead - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Uh……. no. I’m a Warriors fan- and I love Curry. But those glass ankles for 4 years are fine by me for the time being.

4. saint1997 - Jun 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Who wouldn’t want to live in San Fran??

5. anhdazman - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM

This is great news to hear especially if you’re a GSW fan. We have a Franchise type player who actually appreciates the city and team he plays for. (Yes, not just Oakland, but the whole Bay Area.)
    Now hopefully management keeps adding the necessary pieces to make us title contenders.
    In our case, sign our FAs and keep this team intact.
    No on DH12, I still want to see Bogut getting more healthy for this next season. Pair him up with a healthy David Lee. Those two inside game will compliment each other. What’s more special is that both big men can pass the ball. They know how to feed the ball out to Curry and Thompson from the post.
    This is a legit team, we only need more experience with each other.

6. 00maltliquor - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Ain’t happening. No way no how. That’s not how the NBA works buddy. Just look at what the Celtics are tryna do to Paul Pierce!

• anhdazman - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I can’t see why not, 20+ million off the books for Jefferson and Biedrins next year. Bogut’s big contract will also be done, so I’m sure we’ll be able to sign him to a more realistic deal if he’s willing to stay and grow with this team. Curry, Thompson and Barnes are all locked up for a good 3+ years.
      Winning solves a lot of things and more FAs will be considering the bay area with this talented core!

• 00maltliquor - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be a good look or that I wouldn’t like to see it happen, but let’s get real here bro………look at that list of players that have only been on one team their whole career for over 10 years. 8. Eight. EIGHT freakin’ players bro! And one of may not be on that list come next season!

You do know there are 360-450 players on an NBA roster every year, right? EIGHT PLAYERS. ‘Nuff said.

• 49faithful - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM

It can and could happen just take a look at the Spurs.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM

That’s the Spurs. That franchise is cut from a totally different cloth. I tip my hat to that organization, for real.

7. 00maltliquor - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I’ve never been big on the Spurs, but I now got to respect them and how they operate. Look at their loyalty to Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. That’s why they are on their way to the finals and have been to so many of them. UNITY ladies and gentelman. Never underestimate the power of team chemistry, no matter how old!

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures