Jun 5, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
USA Basketball will hold a minicamp in July for promising players who haven’t participated in or have had limited exposure to the national program. USA Basketball hasn’t announced a pull list of invitees, but the names are beginning to trickle out.
All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers teammates Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller have been invited to take part in the USA men’s national team mini-camp in Las Vegas from July 22-25, sources said.Tristan Thompson will take part in the Canadian equivalent.
Obviously, this minicamp will cast a wide net. Paul George and Kyrie Irving are much more likely to eventually make an Olympic team than Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
This experience alone, though, is a positive for these players, a chance to work with other high-level players and coaches. The Cavaliers should be thrilled four of their players will have this opportunity (unless they use it as a chance to bond with players on other teams and then bolt in free agency to join their new friends in more attractive cities).
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 0
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 11
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29