Jun 5, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
USA Basketball will hold a minicamp in July for promising players who haven’t participated in or have had limited exposure to the national program. USA Basketball hasn’t announced a pull list of invitees, but the names are beginning to trickle out.
Pacers swingman Paul George will participate in the Team USA minicamp this summer.—
Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNBA) June 05, 2013
All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers teammates Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller have been invited to take part in the USA men’s national team mini-camp in Las Vegas from July 22-25, sources said.Tristan Thompson will take part in the Canadian equivalent.
Obviously, this minicamp will cast a wide net. Paul George and Kyrie Irving are much more likely to eventually make an Olympic team than Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
This experience alone, though, is a positive for these players, a chance to work with other high-level players and coaches. The Cavaliers should be thrilled four of their players will have this opportunity (unless they use it as a chance to bond with players on other teams and then bolt in free agency to join their new friends in more attractive cities).
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to oversee basketball operations 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 5
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 13
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 9
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14