Jun 5, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
USA Basketball will hold a minicamp in July for promising players who haven’t participated in or have had limited exposure to the national program. USA Basketball hasn’t announced a pull list of invitees, but the names are beginning to trickle out.
All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers teammates Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller have been invited to take part in the USA men’s national team mini-camp in Las Vegas from July 22-25, sources said.Tristan Thompson will take part in the Canadian equivalent.
Obviously, this minicamp will cast a wide net. Paul George and Kyrie Irving are much more likely to eventually make an Olympic team than Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
This experience alone, though, is a positive for these players, a chance to work with other high-level players and coaches. The Cavaliers should be thrilled four of their players will have this opportunity (unless they use it as a chance to bond with players on other teams and then bolt in free agency to join their new friends in more attractive cities).
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7