Jun 5, 2013, 5:21 PM EST
USA Basketball will hold a minicamp in July for promising players who haven’t participated in or have had limited exposure to the national program. USA Basketball hasn’t announced a pull list of invitees, but the names are beginning to trickle out.
All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers teammates Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller have been invited to take part in the USA men’s national team mini-camp in Las Vegas from July 22-25, sources said.Tristan Thompson will take part in the Canadian equivalent.
Obviously, this minicamp will cast a wide net. Paul George and Kyrie Irving are much more likely to eventually make an Olympic team than Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
This experience alone, though, is a positive for these players, a chance to work with other high-level players and coaches. The Cavaliers should be thrilled four of their players will have this opportunity (unless they use it as a chance to bond with players on other teams and then bolt in free agency to join their new friends in more attractive cities).
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 19
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 11
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 14
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 27
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20