Jun 5, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
USA Basketball will hold a minicamp in July for promising players who haven’t participated in or have had limited exposure to the national program. USA Basketball hasn’t announced a pull list of invitees, but the names are beginning to trickle out.
All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers teammates Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller have been invited to take part in the USA men’s national team mini-camp in Las Vegas from July 22-25, sources said.Tristan Thompson will take part in the Canadian equivalent.
Obviously, this minicamp will cast a wide net. Paul George and Kyrie Irving are much more likely to eventually make an Olympic team than Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
This experience alone, though, is a positive for these players, a chance to work with other high-level players and coaches. The Cavaliers should be thrilled four of their players will have this opportunity (unless they use it as a chance to bond with players on other teams and then bolt in free agency to join their new friends in more attractive cities).
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13