PBT Extra: Spurs vs. Heat NBA Finals preview

Jun 5, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT

And then there were two…

Kay Adams and I talk NBA Finals: Can the Spurs big men cause the same problems to the Heat the Pacers’ bigs did? Are the Spurs rested or Rusty? And can Kawhi Leonard have any real success guarding LeBron James?

To me, the real key to this series is how Tony Parker and the Spurs guards deal with athletic, pressure defense the Heat bring. Can they exploit the trapping defense of the Heat with their ball movement and movement off the ball?

And of course, there is a prediction.

1. jbeagles23 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Let’s start this series cause these posts are getting repetitive

2. scorp16 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Does anybody realize what we are about to see?

Battier is going to guard Manu.

Any guesses on the following:

Over/under on total flops
    Who is favorite to flop the most
    Will there be a double flop
    Will there a triple flop
    Will there be a double flop technical
    Will there be a double flop ejection
    Will either Spo or Pop just throw their hands up in the air after a flop by Shane or Manu
    Who will get fined first
    Whomwill have the largest amount in fines

• davidly - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Considering that the last double flop was LBJ/West (and considering Wade’s rep), I’m hoping for at least one play where Ginobli and the entire Miami five to fall to the floor at the same time.

• kavika6 - Jun 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Manu can’t begin to be compared to half of the Miami team. Manu hasn’t received even a warning all season, and as much as David Stern hates the Spurs you know he’s watching for any opportunity to slap him with a fine. Miami (at least during the regular season) knows they don’t have to worry much about it.

• azarkhan - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

The rest of us are about to see great basketball. Don’t know or care what you’re going to see.

3. simonwelds - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Miami in 6 if u dont want to watch the video

• lakerluver - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM

It’s going six, but the Spurs are coming out on top, my friend.

4. wgray981 - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM

The last time the Spurs played in the Finals against LeBron, they won in 4 games. But that was years ago and the heat have been in 2 finals since then.
    4+2=6 so I’ll take the Spurs in 6 games!
    That’s as good of a guess as anybody

5. davidly - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Fair question. But judging by the fact that it took until a desperate game 7 against Indiana (a team not exactly known for a potent offense) before Miami brought anything resembling a world-class, stifling defense, I’d say that it’s the Heat who are going to have their hands full versus the Spurs world-class offense.

During the previous series, I read a lot about how the big question was whether or not the Pacers could score enough, because credit was given to Indiana’s incredible D. And, of course that was one way of looking at it.

Now, I think, the real question is whether or not Miami can score more than San Antonio. They got up to seven games to show they can, because I don’t think they can stifle the Spurs offense for more than a couple, at the most.

6. cantonbound13 - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Spurs in 6

7. aboogy123456 - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I think the key to this series is whether or not norris cole, and to a lesser extent, mario chalmers, can slow down tony parker. Miami does a great job guarding the point guard, but if they are unable to play parker well, then he will pick apart the defense like he has every other team. I don’t think Miami wants to have lebron guarding parker, it will mess up their rotations and it’s too much work to have to chase him around. I also thought that Mike conley and tony allen had a good chance to slow down parker, but that ended up not being the case.

8. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jun 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I will just throw out a number and put my teams name behind it like everyone else….Heat in 7 lol

9. azarkhan - Jun 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM

For the Spurs to win at least two things have to happen. First, their bench has to outscore the Heat bench by at least 10+ points. Second, Kahwi Leonard has to have great series. He’s not going to stop LeBron James; nobody can. Besides, the Spurs as a team have to play great D on James. But Leonard has to score the ball, rebound and bring a ton of hustle and energy to the floor. Then, maybe, the Spurs can win.

10. iowahbr - Jun 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Not really on point to this article but in advance of the finals (and I know that this is NBA blasphemy) could we cut the play-offs from16 teams to 8. Preseason starts in October and now we might be almost to July before we get an NBA champ. You have to be really bad to not make the 16 team list and I think it helps produce too many regular season garbage games.

• miamatt - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I think a better solution would be lopping eight teams right out of the NBA, and/or cut the regular season to 60 games. Simply cutting the number of playoff qualifiers in half really just increases the amount of teams that are out of it altogether.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches