Jun 5, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Suddenly, Brian Shaw is a very popular man.
With the Pacers eliminated from the NBA playoffs, the lead assistant to Frank Vogel — and for seven years before that the lead assistant to some guy named Phil Jackson — is free to talk to other teams about becoming their head coach. The Clippers are relatively early in the process but he is considered a leading candidate there.
We told you yesterday the Nets were doing their homework, on Shaw as well, now comes word they have been granted permission to speak to him, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. And Woj adds Shaw is their top target.
Nets president Billy King is expected to meet with Shaw shortly to discuss the job and an offer could be forthcoming, sources said.
Pacers officials say that King has done an inordinate amount of research on Shaw over the past several weeks. Pacers president Donnie Walsh worked with King years ago with Indiana and has kept a close relationship with him.
It will be interesting to see how Shaw plays this. He is a guy that has been around title teams since he was drafted (the Larry Bird era Celtics) and he wants to land in a place he can win.
The Clippers offer some of that opportunity, although there are roster questions and some really good teams in the West ahead of them. The Nets have talent on the roster as well but need a coach to really elevate them because that roster is pretty locked in and it’s hard to see how they compete with Miami, Indiana, or Chicago with Derrick Rose back.
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 2
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 26
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 21
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6