Mark Cuban correctly predicted future of their relationship while feuding with Jason Kidd

Jun 5, 2013, 9:15 AM EST

File of Mavericks guard Kidd watching from the bench against the Spurs  during their NBA basketball game in Dallas, Texas Reuters

Mark Cuban was mad Jason Kidd left the Mavericks to sign with the Knicks, and the Dallas owner didn’t hide his feelings. Between saying “I was pissed” and “It hurt my feelings, period,” Cuban also said “I’m sure I’ll get over it at some point.”

That day has come.

Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News:

During a call-in appearance on 105.3 The Fan’s Gavin & Chris “GBag Nation” show Tuesday evening, Kidd said Cuban sent him an email, congratulating him on his career and retirement.

“Yeah, Cube reached out and sent me a nice note,” Kidd said. “Cube is one of if not the best owner in sports and we were lucky to be with him when we won that championship.”

When asked whether Cuban dropped any hints about possibly retiring his jersey, Kidd said he thought about jokingly broaching the subject with Cuban.

“Since that was one of the first times we’ve talked,” Kidd said with a laugh, “I didn’t want to push it.”

Kidd won Rookie of the Year in Dallas, and then he returned to help the Mavericks win their first championship. He deserves to have his jersey retired.

But when Kidd signed with New York, Cuban said, “I wouldn’t put J-Kidd’s number in the rafters.” Hopefully, time will heal that wound, too.

1. saint1997 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM

C’mon Mark – the man deserves to be up there. What a legend

2. logisticalvoices - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Mark Cuban > Jerry Jones

3. bchapman2011 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Just my opinion but that honor should be reserved for players that spend the majority of their careers with only one team. Kidd played for other teams longer than he did the Mavs.

• fredagsedb - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I tend to agree. I’d think it would make more sense for the Nets to retire his jersey

• liamj55 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Umm he played 7 seasons with the Nets and 6 seasons with the Mavericks. He was drafted and won a title with Dallas. He is a Maverick more than a Net.

• hwatt - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

so he split his career. gonna be tough to get a retired number with the nets or mavs with just 6 or 7 years each. maybe general hof will be only option

4. bchapman2011 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

5. thebigtuna2 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Shawn Marion’s face though…

6. jadaruler - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Kidd’s jersey should be in the rafters, but Derek Harper’s first. I think JET and Aguirre should be there as wrll. I know Mark left on bad terms, but in my opinion he was the 3rd greatest Mav ever.

7. mz1394 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

He only made 2 all star teams as a member of the mavs hardly jersey retirement material for Dallas.teams retire jerseys for what you did with them not other teams

8. wlubake - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Mark should bury the hatchet quick. Give JKidd a front office job. Get him in the room recruiting CP3. Hail mary.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches