Jun 5, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Mark Cuban was mad Jason Kidd left the Mavericks to sign with the Knicks, and the Dallas owner didn’t hide his feelings. Between saying “I was pissed” and “It hurt my feelings, period,” Cuban also said “I’m sure I’ll get over it at some point.”
That day has come.
During a call-in appearance on 105.3 The Fan’s Gavin & Chris “GBag Nation” show Tuesday evening, Kidd said Cuban sent him an email, congratulating him on his career and retirement.
“Yeah, Cube reached out and sent me a nice note,” Kidd said. “Cube is one of if not the best owner in sports and we were lucky to be with him when we won that championship.”
When asked whether Cuban dropped any hints about possibly retiring his jersey, Kidd said he thought about jokingly broaching the subject with Cuban.
“Since that was one of the first times we’ve talked,” Kidd said with a laugh, “I didn’t want to push it.”
Kidd won Rookie of the Year in Dallas, and then he returned to help the Mavericks win their first championship. He deserves to have his jersey retired.
But when Kidd signed with New York, Cuban said, “I wouldn’t put J-Kidd’s number in the rafters.” Hopefully, time will heal that wound, too.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50