Jun 5, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Mark Cuban was mad Jason Kidd left the Mavericks to sign with the Knicks, and the Dallas owner didn’t hide his feelings. Between saying “I was pissed” and “It hurt my feelings, period,” Cuban also said “I’m sure I’ll get over it at some point.”
That day has come.
During a call-in appearance on 105.3 The Fan’s Gavin & Chris “GBag Nation” show Tuesday evening, Kidd said Cuban sent him an email, congratulating him on his career and retirement.
“Yeah, Cube reached out and sent me a nice note,” Kidd said. “Cube is one of if not the best owner in sports and we were lucky to be with him when we won that championship.”
When asked whether Cuban dropped any hints about possibly retiring his jersey, Kidd said he thought about jokingly broaching the subject with Cuban.
“Since that was one of the first times we’ve talked,” Kidd said with a laugh, “I didn’t want to push it.”
Kidd won Rookie of the Year in Dallas, and then he returned to help the Mavericks win their first championship. He deserves to have his jersey retired.
But when Kidd signed with New York, Cuban said, “I wouldn’t put J-Kidd’s number in the rafters.” Hopefully, time will heal that wound, too.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)