Jason Kidd career highlights… man he was good (VIDEO)

Jun 5, 2013, 12:17 AM EST

If all you have ever seen of Jason Kidd is the guy from the last few years, from his second stint with the Dallas Mavericks and his short run with the Knicks… man, you missed out.

Kidd, who announced his retirement Monday,  was the best point guard of his generation. Better than Nash, better than anyone you can think of from his generation. And this video that goes all the way back to some high school and college clips shows that.

Enjoy. And thank you Kidd, from those of us who love the game. You were a joy to watch.

1. coasttocoast12 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Most people nowadays are always talking about LeBron missing triple double’s with 1 rebound or 1 assist, I remember Jason Kidd missing triple doubles with points.. haha. Great player, huge respect to him. I was incredibly happy when he got that ring in 2011.

2. 00maltliquor - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM

That was great.

Players like Jason Kidd were what I looked up to when playing the game growing up. I absolutely loved his well-rounded game and the way he handled and distributed the rock. He was definitely one of players that captivated me and my love for the sport.

Crazy to me he’s going to be just a memory now. He put in a good 19 years and started every year too. Much respect.

3. saint1997 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:24 AM

amazing player, amazing passer, amazing song. I love it when you see players that used to be as good as this playing as old men for some reason – you can just see the basketball savvy in every move they make and that was embodied by Kidd

4. fanofevilempire - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:54 AM

J-Kidd you should have been playing @ msg, not in the Jersey swamp.
    I know you would have been great and we surely would have had some
    banners, best wishes.

5. anhdazman - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Best passer since Magic Johnson. Very good defender to.

6. fredagsedb - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Great player. Made K-Mart and RJ a lot of money ;)

7. majorhavoc83 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Truly one of the great players and competitors in the game. My son is a guard and anytime we’ve seen Kidd make some of his incredible plays, I’d “rewind” the DVR and we’d watch the play develop in slow motion just to see what he could learn from that. We saw Jason Kidd in person at the Knicks/Raptors game at MSG when he celebrated his 40th birthday, and we got to see him workout during the (non-public) pre-game shoot -around. What a treat! The guy has an amazing work ethic.

Like they say, Father Time catches up with us all. No doubt that Jason Kidd is a first ballot hall of famer. Thanks for show us all “how it’s done”!

8. asimonetti88 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

loving the 90s fashions and hairstyles at the beginning there… what were we thinking? lol

9. limonadamas - Jun 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Was that Starbury? Didn’t he say at some point later that HE was the best PG in the NBA? haha

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches