Heat and Spurs haven’t seen much of each other

Jun 5, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT

French guard Tony Parker (L) challenges

For a moment, let’s put aside key players like Chris Bosh, Manu Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard and just look at the Heat’s and Spurs’ top two players. In the last three years, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Tim Duncan and Tony Parker have shared the court for just 45:57.

They could, theoretically, pass that total in Game 1 of the NBA Finals alone.

Due to circumstance, coaching, pettiness, injury, new additions and other reasons, Miami and San Antonio haven’t seen a lot of each other. That will obviously change in the next four to seven games, but recent matchups between these teams don’t give us many clues as to what will happen.

This season, of course, Gregg Popovich sent Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Danny Green home before a November game in Miami. In turn, the Heat rested LeBron, Wade and Mario Chalmers for the March rematch in San Antonio.

Last season, because of the lockout, some Eastern Conference and Western Conference teams played each other only once, including Miami and San Antonio. In their lone meeting, the Heat won by 22 behind 30+ points from LeBron and Bosh, but Wade didn’t play due to a sprained ankle.

During the 2010-11 season – before Leonard was drafted – the teams traded 30-point wins, and the key players sat late in both contests. Such huge margins don’t seem likely in the Finals.

We haven’t seen much of these Spurs and these Heat playing each other (Just look at the picture I had to use for this post.) But the two teams with the best aggregate records in the last three years can duck each other no longer. We’re finally getting the great matchup we’ve longed for.

1. gmen4life33 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM

No idea how this series is going to play out, and I like that. Should be a good for NBA fans.

2. ivedoneyourwife - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Last year was a great match up, too.

3. hehateme2 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

HEAT in 6. I think the Spurs will wear down as it goes on.

4. miamatt - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

A dream matchup.

Go HEAT!!!

5. jrazz22 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Is there anyone outside of the bandwagon Heat fans that wants the Heat to win?

• lalord - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Me! but I dont want the heat to win, I want the Spurs to lose.

6. scmems07 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Spurs win in not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5…but in 6 games.

• gostlcards5 - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Well done.

7. lemfaxx - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Spurs/heat are both my team. I’ll pick miami by 5, but 6 or 7 would be SA

8. Scott - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Believe it or not there are actually REAL Heat fans out there…not just your so-called “bandwagon” fans. I was at the Heat’s first home win “ever” in ’88 vs Utah. It was their 2nd win of the season. It took them 19 games to win 2. I almost had a job with them in ’91 (running the scoreboard…that would’ve been sweet).

Sure there are folks who just root for the Heat because of Lebron. But there are more out there that hate the Heat just because of Lebron. Who’s more lame?…the lovers or the haters?

Miami has real fans out there. Monday nights game drew a 37 share in the Miami market. Considering the Super Bowl pulled in a 40 share, I’d say our fan base is fine. Indiana’s market pulled a 7…for a game 7. What kind of fans are those?

I’m not surprised the Heat made the finals…heck, we all thought they would. But hats off to the Pacers for a GREAT series and I’m looking forward to the same versus the Spurs. That being said, I think the Heat win in 5.

• gostlcards5 - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I’m surprised that the numbers were that low in Indiana, which is supposed to be known as a “basketball state”. Some of it, I think, stems from the damage the team took for about 3 years because of the “Malice in the Palace”. Either way, as a Pacers fan for most of my life (as long as I can remember watching NBA basketball, anyway), it is a poor excuse.

I agree with you, I think it is going to be a great series, and thanks for being a well-spoken Heat fan, rather than some of the schlubs that just spew garbage. (For the record, I do know a couple of Pacer fans on here spew garbage, too. They’re just fewer and further between. Perhaps the 7 vs the 37 explains that!)

• scmems07 - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

So a real heat fan since 88′, would have guessed if you have been watching basketball that long you would be a little smarter about how the game works. Heat in 5? A little homerism there. Anyone who remotely understand this game knows that will not happen, the heat were a bad defensive play away from losing to the pacers and now they are just going to blow by the spurs in 5, that’s funny. Spurs have better back court, better big men and deeper bench than the pacers not to mention better coaching.they shut down one of the best back courts with the warriors, then shut down one of the best big men tandem in the griz and some how they are going to lose in 5? You must have just watched just the heat and no other team then since 88′.

9. cj1403 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I applaud you @Scott

10. bowwserr - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Spurs fan at heart, but I just love the NBA in general. I will be rooting for the Spurs, but I have nothing against the Heat, or LeBron, Wade, or Bosh.

HOWEVER.

What everyone seems to be focused on is that seemingly unattainable level of just absolute dominance that the Heat can acheive, albeit only for short spurts. What people are overlooking is just how much the Big 3 of the Spurs want this. Timmy doesn’t play basketball to get beaten when he’s so close. It sounds generic, but it’s true. LeBron will be a force for the ages in this series; he will be the best player on either side of the court. But Tim Duncan doesn’t care. He is ready to pen the last chapter of his legacy, riding out as one of the 5 greatest players ever. He will remind everyone just how amazing he and his team are, one last time. Turn your radios and televisions on, folks. History is about to be made; greatness will be witnessed. Regardless of the outcome, I can not wait.

Spurs in 6.

11. gostlcards5 - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Great stat from Kurt Rambis that I saw re-tweeted the other day:

“Since 2004 there’s been 9 #NBAplayoff series played between 1 team coming off a sweep & the other team off 7 games. Sweeping teams are 8-1″

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview