Jun 4, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony said Cousins “fouled the s— outta everyone,” and USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said Cousins “has a lot of growing up to do.” Even Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who offered the most optimistic take on Cousins, said “His time here, playing in this culture and against these guys, sometimes can have a positive change for the players participating.”
Apparently, Cousins had enough positive change. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
After much debate among USA Basketball executives, a source said, Cousins, 22, was extended an invite to take part in the minicamp with a chance to land a spot on Team USA.
“You bury the past and go forward,” Colangelo said. “He’s invited and he’s definitely on the list. New year, new summer, new opportunity.”
Cousins is young, big and very talented, and that will get him many chances. But I don’t necessarily buy that the past is buried, especially considering a lot of debate was required to net Cousins an invite to the July camp. He’ll likely have a short leash before he’s dropped from Olympic consideration, but if he can keep his nose clean, Cousins deserves a chance to prove he’s good enough for the National Team.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 13
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11