Jun 4, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony said Cousins “fouled the s— outta everyone,” and USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said Cousins “has a lot of growing up to do.” Even Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who offered the most optimistic take on Cousins, said “His time here, playing in this culture and against these guys, sometimes can have a positive change for the players participating.”
Apparently, Cousins had enough positive change. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
After much debate among USA Basketball executives, a source said, Cousins, 22, was extended an invite to take part in the minicamp with a chance to land a spot on Team USA.
“You bury the past and go forward,” Colangelo said. “He’s invited and he’s definitely on the list. New year, new summer, new opportunity.”
Cousins is young, big and very talented, and that will get him many chances. But I don’t necessarily buy that the past is buried, especially considering a lot of debate was required to net Cousins an invite to the July camp. He’ll likely have a short leash before he’s dropped from Olympic consideration, but if he can keep his nose clean, Cousins deserves a chance to prove he’s good enough for the National Team.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61