Jun 4, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony said Cousins “fouled the s— outta everyone,” and USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said Cousins “has a lot of growing up to do.” Even Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who offered the most optimistic take on Cousins, said “His time here, playing in this culture and against these guys, sometimes can have a positive change for the players participating.”
Apparently, Cousins had enough positive change. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
After much debate among USA Basketball executives, a source said, Cousins, 22, was extended an invite to take part in the minicamp with a chance to land a spot on Team USA.
“You bury the past and go forward,” Colangelo said. “He’s invited and he’s definitely on the list. New year, new summer, new opportunity.”
Cousins is young, big and very talented, and that will get him many chances. But I don’t necessarily buy that the past is buried, especially considering a lot of debate was required to net Cousins an invite to the July camp. He’ll likely have a short leash before he’s dropped from Olympic consideration, but if he can keep his nose clean, Cousins deserves a chance to prove he’s good enough for the National Team.
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 12
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 22
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 79
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38