Jun 4, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
Carmelo Anthony said Cousins “fouled the s— outta everyone,” and USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said Cousins “has a lot of growing up to do.” Even Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who offered the most optimistic take on Cousins, said “His time here, playing in this culture and against these guys, sometimes can have a positive change for the players participating.”
Apparently, Cousins had enough positive change. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
After much debate among USA Basketball executives, a source said, Cousins, 22, was extended an invite to take part in the minicamp with a chance to land a spot on Team USA.
“You bury the past and go forward,” Colangelo said. “He’s invited and he’s definitely on the list. New year, new summer, new opportunity.”
Cousins is young, big and very talented, and that will get him many chances. But I don’t necessarily buy that the past is buried, especially considering a lot of debate was required to net Cousins an invite to the July camp. He’ll likely have a short leash before he’s dropped from Olympic consideration, but if he can keep his nose clean, Cousins deserves a chance to prove he’s good enough for the National Team.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 0
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 26
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29