Jun 4, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony said Cousins “fouled the s— outta everyone,” and USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said Cousins “has a lot of growing up to do.” Even Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who offered the most optimistic take on Cousins, said “His time here, playing in this culture and against these guys, sometimes can have a positive change for the players participating.”
Apparently, Cousins had enough positive change. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
After much debate among USA Basketball executives, a source said, Cousins, 22, was extended an invite to take part in the minicamp with a chance to land a spot on Team USA.
“You bury the past and go forward,” Colangelo said. “He’s invited and he’s definitely on the list. New year, new summer, new opportunity.”
Cousins is young, big and very talented, and that will get him many chances. But I don’t necessarily buy that the past is buried, especially considering a lot of debate was required to net Cousins an invite to the July camp. He’ll likely have a short leash before he’s dropped from Olympic consideration, but if he can keep his nose clean, Cousins deserves a chance to prove he’s good enough for the National Team.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10