Jun 4, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
If you’re the Nets and you have an owner demanding a title, you want a coach who understands winning.
Brian Shaw fits that description — drafted on to Larry Bird’s Celtics, he won three rings as a player with the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, coached and won more rings under Phil Jackson, and was part of the Pacers staff that just pushed the Heat to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals.
Shaw also reportedly is in the discussion for the Clippers job. So is Lionel Hollins, who says he wants to stay in Memphis but has drawn interest from the Nets as well.
The question these coaches need to ask themselves: How far can this roster really go? Billy King has max guys in Brook Lopez and Deron Williams, a tough-to-move $10 million a year deal for Gerald Wallace and just not a lot of roster flexibility. The Nets won 49 games last season, but how much better can they do? Particularly in an East where the Pacers are improving, the Bulls get Derrick Rose back and the Heat are the Heat. Is a coach going to be able to lift the Nets to new heights?
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9