Jun 4, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
If you’re the Nets and you have an owner demanding a title, you want a coach who understands winning.
Brian Shaw fits that description — drafted on to Larry Bird’s Celtics, he won three rings as a player with the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, coached and won more rings under Phil Jackson, and was part of the Pacers staff that just pushed the Heat to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals.
Shaw also reportedly is in the discussion for the Clippers job. So is Lionel Hollins, who says he wants to stay in Memphis but has drawn interest from the Nets as well.
The question these coaches need to ask themselves: How far can this roster really go? Billy King has max guys in Brook Lopez and Deron Williams, a tough-to-move $10 million a year deal for Gerald Wallace and just not a lot of roster flexibility. The Nets won 49 games last season, but how much better can they do? Particularly in an East where the Pacers are improving, the Bulls get Derrick Rose back and the Heat are the Heat. Is a coach going to be able to lift the Nets to new heights?
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 24
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 27
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 30
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30