Jun 4, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
If you’re the Nets and you have an owner demanding a title, you want a coach who understands winning.
Brian Shaw fits that description — drafted on to Larry Bird’s Celtics, he won three rings as a player with the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, coached and won more rings under Phil Jackson, and was part of the Pacers staff that just pushed the Heat to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals.
Shaw also reportedly is in the discussion for the Clippers job. So is Lionel Hollins, who says he wants to stay in Memphis but has drawn interest from the Nets as well.
The question these coaches need to ask themselves: How far can this roster really go? Billy King has max guys in Brook Lopez and Deron Williams, a tough-to-move $10 million a year deal for Gerald Wallace and just not a lot of roster flexibility. The Nets won 49 games last season, but how much better can they do? Particularly in an East where the Pacers are improving, the Bulls get Derrick Rose back and the Heat are the Heat. Is a coach going to be able to lift the Nets to new heights?
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6