Jun 4, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
Larry Brown has run out of NBA teams to coach, so now he’s apparently on his second go-round. The former Nets coach and former 76ers coach has been contacted by both those teams, according to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv:
The Brooklyn Nets and the Philadelphia 76ers have both “contacted” SMU coach Larry Brown about their coaching openings, a source close to Brown told SNY.tv.
The source said a third team, possibly the Los Angeles Clippers, has also reached out to Brown, 72. The source requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak publicly for Brown.
“Three NBA teams have talked to him,” the source said, adding that he was not certain of the identity of the third team.
In case you’re wondering, Brown has coached the Clippers. He’s also coached the other team with a coaching vacancy, the Pistons.
The 76ers just parted with Doug Collins, and it wouldn’t make sense to do that and then hire another past-his-prime coach who doesn’t embrace statistics.
The Nets would be much more intriguing . There’s no doubt Brown, a New York native, still feels awful about how badly he failed with the Knicks. The Nets’ move to Brooklyn could give him a second chance in the city he loves so dearly. The Nets have a solid roster, and Brown has the potential to elevate that team deeper into the playoffs.
Brown would certainly leave his current job, head coach at Southern Methodist University, for an NBA position. That’s not because the NBA is a step up from SMU (though it is), but because Brown would always leave his current job for a new one.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 23
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 32
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 5
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31