Jun 4, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Immediately after the Bobcats hired Steve Clifford, Patrick Ewing emerged as his likely lead assistant. Clifford and Ewing coach together with the Magic and Rockets, and Ewing is rising in the coaching ranks.
Ewing will interview tomorrow for the position, according to Chris Haynes of Comcast Sports Net Northwest. Haynes:
When reached by phone, Ewing confirmed he was meeting with head coach Steve Clifford in Charlotte.
“Charlotte is a great city and I’m open-minded,” Ewing told CSNNW.com. “I have worked with Steve for many years in Houston and Orlando and I consider him to be a friend. We’ll see what they are looking for and see if it’ll be a good fit.”
It sounds like this interview is a formality or the Bobcats’ chance to impress Ewing more than Ewing’s chance to impress them.
Ewing wants to be a head coach, and he’s put in the work to get there. However, he’s been pigeonholed as a big-man assistant for Dwight Howard and Yao Ming. Becoming a lead assistant in Charlotte would help prove Ewing is capable of running a full team, not just the centers.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 17
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6