Jun 4, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Immediately after the Bobcats hired Steve Clifford, Patrick Ewing emerged as his likely lead assistant. Clifford and Ewing coach together with the Magic and Rockets, and Ewing is rising in the coaching ranks.
Ewing will interview tomorrow for the position, according to Chris Haynes of Comcast Sports Net Northwest. Haynes:
When reached by phone, Ewing confirmed he was meeting with head coach Steve Clifford in Charlotte.
“Charlotte is a great city and I’m open-minded,” Ewing told CSNNW.com. “I have worked with Steve for many years in Houston and Orlando and I consider him to be a friend. We’ll see what they are looking for and see if it’ll be a good fit.”
It sounds like this interview is a formality or the Bobcats’ chance to impress Ewing more than Ewing’s chance to impress them.
Ewing wants to be a head coach, and he’s put in the work to get there. However, he’s been pigeonholed as a big-man assistant for Dwight Howard and Yao Ming. Becoming a lead assistant in Charlotte would help prove Ewing is capable of running a full team, not just the centers.
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 2
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 8
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 32
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 11