Pacers’ David West on being a free agent: ‘I can’t see myself going anywhere else.’

Jun 4, 2013, 1:43 AM EST

David West

David West was an important part of the Pacers advancing as far as they did in the playoffs this season, but he’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and there are already teams lining up with interest should he choose to seek employment elsewhere.

Thankfully for Indiana, that doesn’t appear as though it’s going to happen.

Earlier in the series against the Heat, West already had said he’d like to return to the Pacers next season. Once it was over, he reiterated that feeling a little more strongly.

When asked following Game 7 if he’d thought about where he’d like to play next season, West made it as clear as possible that the Pacers will be his first, and possibly only choice.

“That’s something I’ll sit down and discuss, but this is my group,” West said. “These are my guys. You know, I can’t see myself going anywhere else. We’re the second best team in the Eastern Conference, one of the top four teams in the league, in my estimation, based on this year.

“This group is a solid group,” he added. “Gives me as an individual the best chance to accomplish the goals that I have left in terms of my future, and that’s competing at this stage of the game every single year from here on out.”

West mad $10 million this season, and may have to take a pay cut if he truly wishes to stay in Indiana. But given the way this season ended, along with the fondness West seems to have for his teammates and coaches, we’ll go ahead and take him at his word that he’ll likely be back with the Pacers next season.

1. badintent - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Test him for Roids and HGH.

• erckle31 - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Then what should we test Lebron for, by your logic?

• dexterismyhero - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM

They don’t have to test LeBron. He has no sack and everyone knows it already.

2. northstarnic - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:27 AM

$$$$

My guess is he’s done as a pacer. Money nearly always trumps loyalty and success with these guys.

• davidly - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Your assertion is not borne out by the statistics on this matter. In fact, the opposite is true. Though, I must admit to not being entirely sure what you mean by “these guys”.

• dondada10 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Nobody can offer him more $$$$ than the Pacers.

• gostlcards5 - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM

True, but if they offer him a max, plus George is up for an extension of his rookie deal, then they are going to be high within their budget. I like DWest a lot, but not sure if he’s worth a max deal.

• erckle31 - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Any team would be crazy offer David West a max contract at this stage of his career. I’m a Pacer fan and I love DWest but there is no way he’ll get that kind of money. I’m thinking around $10 mil that Brett said, possibly a little less. Both sides want each other, and I really think they’ll make it happen and he stays.

3. blarry21 - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM

It’s nice to see an athlete wanting to stay with his current team instead of ditching for free agency and the paycheck. We’ll see if he actually stays.

4. anhdazman - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM

If West wants to win, he’ll resign with the Pacers.

Pacer’s front office must decide what to do with Granger. Big salary cap, but he could be a very valuable trading piece. They’ve proved that they could win without Granger.

5. supremekingz - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I really like Granger, but they’ll probably have to trade him somewhere for some bench pieces. It would work out for both. Paul George is now the face of that franchise. He legitimately has a chance to be an All Star and MVP one day.

• bougin89 - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I’m not a Pacers fan but I agree. George looks eerily similar to Tracy McGrady(other than he’s already had more playoff success) early in his career. He is just starting to tap into his potential.

• hehateme2 - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

He’s got a long way to go from what I’ve seen. LeBron dominated him!!

• dondada10 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Could Cleveland and Indiana match up in a trade?

Pacers get the 1st pick and stash Noel for the future, and the Cavs get Granger?

• comebackkidd - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

you are a joke. like, im sure cleveland would just freely give up the #1 pick in a rebuilding phase.. last part of the rebuilding phase… moron.

• jcshin89 - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

i agree with supremkingz. granger had his chance and sad he was injured during his prime. now its roy hibbert and paul george franchise. they need to build around those two main pieces. I think they should try to sign Andre Iguadala. someone who can play solid D but also got excellent ball handling and passing skill for his size.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

They do not have the cap room for the max or near max Iggy will get.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches