Karl Malone talks Jordan vs. Lebron, his all time starting five (VIDEO)

Jun 4, 2013, 4:43 PM EST

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Hall of Fame power forward — and now Utah Jazz big man coach — Karl Malone swung by the Dan Patrick show today and was very Karl Malone. Well, I think we all expected a little more referencing himself in the third person, but he was still in rare form.

Dan Patrick gets him talking Steve Nash vs. Jason Kidd, would he rather be teammates with Michael Jordan or LeBron James, and what would be his all-time starting five.

Of course, the conversation wanders all over the place, because that is Karl Malone. This is just part of the interview if you want to see the full thing follow this link.

1. mz1394 - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

As long as he wasn’t asked on advice on how to be a father

2. bloodisred - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Stupid friggin comment – this is about basketball.

3. money2long - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

my all time starting five

PG: Magic Johnson
    SG: Michael Jordan
    SF: Lebron James
    PF: Tim Duncan
    C: Shaquille O’Neal

6th Man: Kobe Bean Bryant

for kicks, my 2nd team

pg: Oscar Robertson
    sg: Kobe Bryant
    sf: Larry Bird
    pf: Karl Malone
    c: Kareem Abudul Jabbar

it’s criminal for me to have left off Bill Russell. i know. it’s tough making these rosters. for one, i think kobe should be on the 1st team. I would have no problem shifting lebron to PF and putting kobe at the 3. but then shaq would come off the list. because i think duncan would have to play center. well. who can make a better 1st or 2nd team than I ????

• football58 - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Who are you and why do we care?

• money2long - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM

i’m your worst nightmare.
        “you’ve got to ask yourself one question. ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?”

• loungefly74 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

good list.

• sportsnut101 - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Is Duncan really better then Karl Malone. Put rings aside Malone is to strong for Duncan in post n Malone has jumper to.
      N shaq ahead of bill Russell or wilt. I don’t think so Wilt n Russell would just run up n down the floor all day on shaq

4. hickoryhigh - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Karl, your jealousy and contempt for Jordan is epic. Get over it man, you couldn’t beat him; nobody could.

• hornets26 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Except the Pistons….

5. stayhigh_247 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:30 AM

i knew he was gonna say Scottie. Pippen was the man on both ends..

6. davidly - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Most people wanna put it together like the Dream Teams, with the best player at every position. But if I were gonna pick a starting five, I’d have to figure in chemistry, where the points are gonna come from and who can give up scoring unless it’s needed, who plays the best man-to-man as well as help defense, etc.

In short, I don’t wanna have a bunch of guys who can dominate putting the ball in the basket unless they can also dominate in some other offensive category.

For this reason, I think Malone’s five is pretty good. Both James and Pippen are a couple of the greatest help defenders of all time, plus his whole team excel at passing from their position.

My only problem with his choice is that James is not best at the 4 spot. I think I’d rather have him in the Oscar Robinson spot, with the Big O then replacing Stockton. Sorry, Karl.

Who would I put at power forward? Why, the Worm, of course.

7. dexterismyhero - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Wilt
    Russell
    Jabbar
    Jordan
    Dr J

On the bench
    Magic
    Kobe
    LeBron
    Bird
    Shaq

Hell, even Doug Collins could coach that team. Just sit back with your hands behind your head.

• sportsnut101 - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM

U have dr j starting over magic.
      Wilt jabber n Russell. Would be the worse all on the floor together. Who would guard the three point line wilt lol

8. azarkhan - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I wouldn’t pick an egotistical jerk like Jordan either.

9. sportsnut101 - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Wilt
    Moses Malone
    Lebron
    Jordan
    Magic
    6th man Kobe

2nd team
    Bill Russell
    Duncan
    Bird
    Oscar rob
    Pippen
    6th man shaq

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches