Jun 4, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
The Kings’ recently hired coach, Michael Malone, gives Sacramento fans their reason. Malone was an assistant with the Hornets when Paul played for them. Via Ailene Voisin of The Sacramento Bee:
“Obviously, Chris would look pretty good in a Sacramento Kings uniform without a doubt,” Malone said. “He’s a great friend, somebody I had a great relationship with when I spent time with him in New Orleans. We stay in touch. He’s got a lot of things going on right now. As I told him recently, I care about him. I hope he’s okay, and whatever decision he makes is best for him and his family, and I’ll always be rooting for him.”
First of all, the Kings could renounce all their free agents, and they still wouldn’t have enough cap space to offer Paul a maximum contract. Second of all, there’s no way Paul wants to sign with the lowly Kings, even if he likes Malone.
Perhaps, Malone was just making a fashion statement, saying black and purple would complement Paul well. With all due respect to purple-hating Uni Watch, with whom I mostly agree, that’s the most logical theory.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11