Heat post biggest Game 7 blowout this deep into playoffs in 18 years

Jun 3, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT

Miami Heat's James runs downcourt after scoring against the Indiana Pacers during Game 7 of their NBA Eastern Conference final basketball playoff in Miami Reuters

The Miami Heat’s 99-76 win over the Indiana Pacers in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals tonight – a 23-point margin – was the biggest Game 7 win in the conference finals or Finals since the Magic beat the Pacers by 24 in 1995.

The only other Game 7 win this deep into the playoffs by a larger margin came in 1948, when the Philadelphia Warriors beat the St. Louis Bombers in the Basketball Association of America Semifinals.

Miami’s 23-point win is also the largest margin in any Game 7 since the Celtics beat the Hawks by 34 in 2008. Tonight was the ninth-biggest Game 7 win of all time.

How did the Heat win by so many? It helped that LeBron James turned in a historic performance.

LeBron’s 32 points were the most by a single player in a Game 7 since Kevin Durant scored 39 in 2011 against the Grizzlies. Nobody had matched LeBron’s line of 32 points, eight rebounds, four assists and two steals in a Game 7 since James Worthy in 1988 against the Pistons.

1. pantsfreezone - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Was never really worried. Three straight years Miami stumbles in the playoffs but when the chips are down and the die are cast, LeBron, Wade and Bosh (and Cole this year) just show up, turn it on and start flying around like a Flying Death Machine (@HPBasketball).

Heat over Spurs in 6.

CleeeeaarrerrrrRRRRRRRR…..

Once You

We’re in my

REARVIEWMIRRORRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

(Thanks PJ)

4. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I knew this game wouldn’t be close at all, but many others didnt believe me. The bad part about this finals now is that the Spurs don’t match up with the Heat any where near as well as the Pacers do, and even despite the fresh legs I think this long layover for the Spurs will actually work against them.

5. thekingdave - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Total shock (insert sarcasm). Heat in 7, the only way San Antonio has any prayer is if they take games 3-5 at home. Write it down and falsely hope you’ll be able to shove than in my face in a couple weeks.

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I say Heat in 6. I don’t think it will go 7. I don’t think the spurs are as big as the Pacers were, and size is the weakness for the Heat. The Spurs don’t have the shot-blocking big man patrolling the paint and they don’t play as physical.

• erckle31 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I think we’ve all underestimated Tim Duncan, and the Spurs in general, one too many times. I’ll be objective here, even though these are literally my 2 least favorite teams. San Antonio plays at a faster pace, which I think favors the Heat. I think this is a much more favorable match up for Miami than Indiana as they don’t necessarily have a post presence outside of Duncan, but the Spurs ball movement is second to none and they have shooters all over the floor (as do the Heat). Honestly, I wanna say the Heat will get it, but I hate to make predictions. I don’t know if this will be as exciting as the ECF, but it should be good. If you’re a real basketball fan, the Finals are always exciting to watch anyway (well maybe not in 2007).

6. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM

…and that’s quite the random Pearl Jam reference. Did you know PJ has an odd affiliation with Mookie Blaylock? I bet Eddie is devastated…

7. dolphindubs - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

In LeBron we trust.

8. reedme16 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Pacers were tough!

9. jjones314 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM

It was a great series!

Tony Parker is gonna be a problem! Idk man…

10. badintent - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Not Ready For Prime Time=Pacers
    Mr. Invisible=Paul George
    Pacers paint domination= Vanished into thin Air(where LBJ was playing )
    But don’t count the Spurs out . These are desperate men playing together for what maybe the last time they have a real chance to win it all.

11. jzone954 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM

The Heat will play better in the finals. They should be able to carry the momentum over…..it’s going to be a great series. I don’t even see the Spurs having an answer at the times Miami steps up the defensive intensity, and the 3s are falling,not taking away anything from the Spurs and not saying they can’t beat the Heat……LeBron and wade will attack the paint. And if he going off, LeBron in crunch time will be put on Tony…….this should be a great series.

12. wrigleyivy - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:44 AM

The heat dominated. Period, big ups and I hope the East brings it home. BUT to go out and discredit PG for his line and overall JUMP, is a mistake. The Pacer philosophy involves all five heavily involved and granted, he had a bad game, didn’t hit his shots, and had trouble pinning down the best player on Earth.

Have you seen LeBron have more respect for an individual player on this stage?!

Given the solidarity of our franchise, the maturity at his age (just turned 23!), who’s to say PG won’t become an annual MVP candidate?

13. funktron2x - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Not as exciting? That would be a true shame. However, keep an open mind. You might think different the first time you see Ginobili nutmeg Haslem or you realize that Duncan and Splitter are the guys that dominated the Grizzlies’ much lauded all-star frontcourt. And Tony Parker. Always, relentlessly, Tony Parker.

14. 00maltliquor - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Where’s everybody that thumbed me down yesterday when I said the Heat were gonna put the smackdown in game 7?

15. 00maltliquor - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Heat in 6.

16. canehouse - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Honestly… I was very surprised that Indiana didn’t put up a bigger fight last night… Miami brought their Championship moxie… the Pacers crumbled!!

• hehateme2 - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

They have little heart…. lots of talk but little heart. Poor coaching on top of that spelled their utter failure. Good times!

17. yuwannano - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I didn’t think the Pacers were going to make it to a game 7. Maybe they just got tired? What a humiliating loss.

18. iowahbr - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Score was not close, game was not close. Too much LBJ and the Heat can get offensive rebounds when something big is on the line. Hibbert needs to learn on the double that he better respond quickly or it will be 20 TOs per game next year. Heat in 6 over the Spurs unless Wade disappears again.

19. nard100 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

When you see Vogel pleading with his players asking who is going to get this score to “within 10″ this quarter (2nd). With the cameras rolling, not one player opened their mouth. They all knew what the deal was by halftime. That was priceless. By the end, they knew who the champs were. Period.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches