Dwight Howard saw a psychiatrist to help with free throw shooting this year

Jun 3, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

My only question is: Did Metta World Peace make the recommendation?

In his quest to get over his free throw shooting woes this season — 49.2 percent — Howard admitted to T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times that he saw the team’s psychologist about it.

“I have only one problem and it’s between my ears,” he said, while admitting he visited a Lakers’ psychiatrist. “I just think too much.”

Howard has said that before — it’s not form, it’s in his mind. And you see when teams have gone to the hack-a-Howard strategy and just fouled him over and over he gets his rhythm going and starts to sink a respectable percentage of his free throws.

Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s doing a lot better at it. Howard took on the writer’s daughter — a stay at home mom who had to Google who Howard was — in a free throw contest and lost. Of course, he shot left handed to make sure she won and then he donated $5,000 to a charity of her choosing, but still, there is video.

Here are the other two nuggets out of that Howard piece.

First, he artfully dodged all questions about his future and where he might land.

What he did after the season is went fishing. Somehow that will piss off a group of Lakers fans.

“You just can’t please people,” Howard said. “I catch fish and it’s a problem. People were upset I was out having fun; they thought I should be sitting in a room all upset because we lost.

“I am upset, but I’m not going to stop living life. I couldn’t watch the playoffs I was so ticked. Everywhere I went I saw a Tim Duncan jersey, and you know how much I hated that.”

1. 4thquartermagic - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I hope Metta World Peace got some free sessions for referring Dwight.

2. fanofthegame79 - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Why doesn’t he just talk with Rick Berry and shoot the underhand shot?? Does he really think he’ll be made fun of if he starts hitting 70%+ from the line?!?

3. spthegr8 - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Maybe we can sign the housewife to a 10 day contract for next season. We could use some help @ the point. She CANT be any worse then C Duhon!!

4. tampajoey - Jun 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Did the psychiatrist diagnose why Howard is such a narcissistic crybaby?

• kleong1011 - Jun 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM

No but I bet he could diagnose why you’re a smart ass whiner.

5. readysethike - Jun 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Next story: Pau Gasol saw a gynecologist to help with his post play

• loungefly74 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM

zinga!

6. azarkhan - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM

What’s next, a fortune teller to let him know what team he should sign with?

7. asimonetti88 - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Lesson for Dwight: never talk to TJ Simers. Nothing good ever comes from it.

• limonadamas - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Hilarious! Not sure if anyone outside of the LA region has heard of Simers, but I can’t stand that guy’s articles… haha

8. mazblast - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Is Simers just a bit chummy with the player about whose team he’s supposed to be objective? Geez, if he were any more of a fanboy, he’d be Ahmad Rashad.

Speaking of Ahmad, has anyone heard a word from this “broadcasting star” since MJ left the Bulls?

• asimonetti88 - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

TJ Simers and objective used in the same sentence. I’ll take things I’d never thought I’d see in the same sentence before, Alex.

9. kpow55 - Jun 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Yes, lets all sit in our glass house and make fun of someone seeking assistance with their mental health… That ought to make the negative stigma that scares people of from seeking help go away.

Make for of Metta all you want but he was man enough to seek help. Unfortunately Titus Young was probably made fun of by a few trolls and never did.

10. tombstone7 - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM

What a waste of money……he coulda save mo’ $$$$$$ just by staying after practice & coming earlier to shoot free-throws…..DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

11. gmsingh - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Did anyone tell Dwight that you can’t just “see” the psychiatrist but that you have to talk to him too?

How Cleveland was fit for a King