Jun 3, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
My only question is: Did Metta World Peace make the recommendation?
In his quest to get over his free throw shooting woes this season — 49.2 percent — Howard admitted to T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times that he saw the team’s psychologist about it.
“I have only one problem and it’s between my ears,” he said, while admitting he visited a Lakers’ psychiatrist. “I just think too much.”
Howard has said that before — it’s not form, it’s in his mind. And you see when teams have gone to the hack-a-Howard strategy and just fouled him over and over he gets his rhythm going and starts to sink a respectable percentage of his free throws.
Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s doing a lot better at it. Howard took on the writer’s daughter — a stay at home mom who had to Google who Howard was — in a free throw contest and lost. Of course, he shot left handed to make sure she won and then he donated $5,000 to a charity of her choosing, but still, there is video.
Here are the other two nuggets out of that Howard piece.
First, he artfully dodged all questions about his future and where he might land.
What he did after the season is went fishing. Somehow that will piss off a group of Lakers fans.
“You just can’t please people,” Howard said. “I catch fish and it’s a problem. People were upset I was out having fun; they thought I should be sitting in a room all upset because we lost.
“I am upset, but I’m not going to stop living life. I couldn’t watch the playoffs I was so ticked. Everywhere I went I saw a Tim Duncan jersey, and you know how much I hated that.”
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 4
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 18
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14