Jun 3, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
It’s unorthodox to hire your head coach before your general manager — usually the GM gets to set the vision and bring in a coach to execute it.
But that’s not the way it is going down for new owner Kings owner Vivek Ranadive in Sacramento — Mike Malone is coming in from Golden State to be the head coach. Now they just need to find his boss and GM.
The Kings expanded that search to some big name guys over the weekend, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
The Sacramento Kings’ new ownership group has reached out to Hall of Famers Larry Bird and Chris Mullin as well as former NBA coach Mike Dunleavy about running the team’s basketball operations, a search that is wide-open, league sources told CBSSports.com on Monday….
“It’s wide open,” another league source said. “It’s not concrete on those guys.”
But the leader from the start has seemed to be Chris Wallace, the GM who put much of the current Grizzlies roster together but who has been pushed aside as new ownership has gone to a more analytics-based approach. Marc Stein of ESPN hears he is still the front runner.
You have to like that the new Kings’ ownership is aiming big. Call up the big names and see what they are thinking.
But expect Wallace to end up with the job.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 24
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36