Jun 3, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
It’s unorthodox to hire your head coach before your general manager — usually the GM gets to set the vision and bring in a coach to execute it.
But that’s not the way it is going down for new owner Kings owner Vivek Ranadive in Sacramento — Mike Malone is coming in from Golden State to be the head coach. Now they just need to find his boss and GM.
The Kings expanded that search to some big name guys over the weekend, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
The Sacramento Kings’ new ownership group has reached out to Hall of Famers Larry Bird and Chris Mullin as well as former NBA coach Mike Dunleavy about running the team’s basketball operations, a search that is wide-open, league sources told CBSSports.com on Monday….
“It’s wide open,” another league source said. “It’s not concrete on those guys.”
But the leader from the start has seemed to be Chris Wallace, the GM who put much of the current Grizzlies roster together but who has been pushed aside as new ownership has gone to a more analytics-based approach. Marc Stein of ESPN hears he is still the front runner.
You have to like that the new Kings’ ownership is aiming big. Call up the big names and see what they are thinking.
But expect Wallace to end up with the job.
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 0
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 1
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 8
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 19