Jun 3, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
It’s unorthodox to hire your head coach before your general manager — usually the GM gets to set the vision and bring in a coach to execute it.
But that’s not the way it is going down for new owner Kings owner Vivek Ranadive in Sacramento — Mike Malone is coming in from Golden State to be the head coach. Now they just need to find his boss and GM.
The Kings expanded that search to some big name guys over the weekend, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
The Sacramento Kings’ new ownership group has reached out to Hall of Famers Larry Bird and Chris Mullin as well as former NBA coach Mike Dunleavy about running the team’s basketball operations, a search that is wide-open, league sources told CBSSports.com on Monday….
“It’s wide open,” another league source said. “It’s not concrete on those guys.”
But the leader from the start has seemed to be Chris Wallace, the GM who put much of the current Grizzlies roster together but who has been pushed aside as new ownership has gone to a more analytics-based approach. Marc Stein of ESPN hears he is still the front runner.
You have to like that the new Kings’ ownership is aiming big. Call up the big names and see what they are thinking.
But expect Wallace to end up with the job.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50