Jun 2, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
In the postgame press conference that followed, Hibbert made two separate off-color remarks that will no doubt cost him a substantial dollar amount in the form of a fine from the league office.
The first was relatively harmless. Hibbert was asked how it was possible that he could be playing so well yet finish just 10th in the voting for the Defensive Player of the Year award. Hibbert was angry, and honestly, a little defensive in giving his response.
“You know what, because y’all motherf••••••s don’t watch us play throughout the year, to tell you the truth,” he said.
The second remark was far worse.
“There was Game 3 here that I felt I let Paul (George) down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting into the paint because they stretched me out so much — no homo (laughs) — but I want to be there for him,” Hibbert said.
The “no homo” comment is one that is unfortunately used by some younger males after saying anything that could be remotely construed as being homosexual in context.
Hibbert issued an apology that covered both remarks on Sunday.
“I am apologizing for insensitive remarks made during the postgame press conference after our victory over Miami Saturday night. They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views. I used a slang term that is not appropriate in any setting, private or public, and the language I used definitely has no place in a public forum, especially over live television. I apologize to those who I have offended, to our fans and to the Pacers’ organization. I sincerely have deep regret over my choice of words last night.”
Again, Hibbert will face a steep fine for his comments. There is zero chance, however, that what he said will result in a suspension for Game 7.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44