Roy Hibbert issues an apology for ‘insensitive’ postgame remarks

Jun 2, 2013, 12:30 PM EST

hibbert

Roy Hibbert was on a tear Saturday night, but it had little to do with the way he performed in the Pacers’ Game 6 win over the Heat.

In the postgame press conference that followed, Hibbert made two separate off-color remarks that will no doubt cost him a substantial dollar amount in the form of a fine from the league office.

The first was relatively harmless. Hibbert was asked how it was possible that he could be playing so well yet finish just 10th in the voting for the Defensive Player of the Year award. Hibbert was angry, and honestly, a little defensive in giving his response.

“You know what, because y’all motherf••••••s don’t watch us play throughout the year, to tell you the truth,” he said.

The second remark was far worse.

“There was Game 3 here that I felt I let Paul (George) down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting into the paint because they stretched me out so much — no homo (laughs) — but I want to be there for him,” Hibbert said.

The “no homo” comment is one that is unfortunately used by some younger males after saying anything that could be remotely construed as being homosexual in context.

Hibbert issued an apology that covered both remarks on Sunday.

“I am apologizing for insensitive remarks made during the postgame press conference after our victory over Miami Saturday night. They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views. I used a slang term that is not appropriate in any setting, private or public, and the language I used definitely has no place in a public forum, especially over live television. I apologize to those who I have offended, to our fans and to the Pacers’ organization. I sincerely have deep regret over my choice of words last night.”

Again, Hibbert will face a steep fine for his comments. There is zero chance, however, that what he said will result in a suspension for Game 7.

1. xli2006 - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Now would be a good time to remind PBT that it’s owner/partner NBC has a little show called SNL who has an entire song called “No Homo” (pretty funny song actually). While Roy’s context likely warrants an apology it should be put to rest immediately and he was obviously saying it in a joking and not derogatory way. He spole highly of Collins when he came out and immediately reached out to him after the presser.

Roy was 100% correct on the Media comments though… “Those mo____ fu_____” havent been watching the Pacers this year and are only covering them now because they obviously have to. PBT is in that group of media guilty of not paying attention to these Pacers. Good for Roy for calling out the same media that wouldnt shut up about a dramatic garbage Laker team but wouldnt even mention the Pacers.

2. iamhoraceknight - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Why does Roy Hibbert Have to Apologize for stating that he’s not gay?

• gmsingh - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM

This is all a bunch of crap to steer people away from how fricking awful the Heat looked in game 6.

3. saintsfire - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

As a straight male the no homo addendum is indispensable and at times necessary lest anyone get the wrong idea, more importantly when the ladies are present they get the right idea.

No Apology is warranted, getting women to make commitments is rather difficult as it is, and I still want to tell my bros when I want to that I love them and its not in the sexual context.

Hey bro I love you, you deserve it, its not sexual though, so don’t worry, I know you like the ladies as do I.

PC crowd are gay they can take it or leave it I aint changing.

Women don’t come easy for everyone, not everyone is not extremely handsome, muscular, or wealthy, and even if they are and have a heart for that special someone, even then it’s no cake walk.

get over it pc idiots

4. dgbk - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM

his fine should be no more then $4999… if flopping is 5k its hard for me to think his slip up is worse for the game, than tony allen pretending to be shot in the head.

if hibbert got up there and said first off bleep same sex couples. than yea drop the hammer on him.. all these ppl sayin he should be susp are clearly heat fans lookin for ways to stop him…

• gostlcards5 - Jun 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Agree. Anyone who seriously thinks Hibbert should have been suspended are Heat fans that are bitter that he has been tearing them up in the series.

As far as what he did, I know the apology sounds lame, PR generated, and all that, but I do believe that he didn’t mean it in a derogatory way, and that he is bothered by it. As I’ve stated on here before, I did have the chance to meet the guy last year, and he does seem to be a good, genuine, intelligent, humble person. I don’t think that this dumb comment defines him. I think he knew it was a mistake pretty quickly after he said it and regrets that he did.

Even intelligent people can make mistakes and say dumb things. No one, including all of you crushing him, are perfect either.

5. wakiash - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM

How about no homophobes allowed on the court or bench?

6. middy8484 - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Just another boy being ignorant.

7. monkeyhateclean - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

So a guy confirming he is not homosexual is offensive to homosexuals? I don’t get it, and this from someone who believes “redskins” is a racial slur.

8. buccobrigade - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Welcome to America, where the F-word is less offensive than making a homosexual reference. Go ahead parents, tell your kids to drop the F-bomb whenever they please.

9. pensman29 - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Stay classy basketball players.

10. wranglerick - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

So this is why pop tells Duncan, no press ?

11. 13arod - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

he was saying that to lebron so he should be suspended

12. miguel3557 - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

“They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views.” If they weren’t a reflection of your personal views, why did you utter them? Why would you express something that didn’t reflect your personal views?

This is just another stupid agent-created statement designed to cover yet another dull-witted athlete making yet another stupid homophobic remark intended in this instance to assure fans that he’s not gay. It’s really astonishing how those who perceive themselves as victims of racism can be so cavalier about their own invidious discrimination toward others.

13. Jeff - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

xli2006 is right.

14. tombstone7 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Not a slur or anything…..just the PCcops running amuck. As for Mr. Collins, he wanted to be free of being “outta the closet” & now HE & the NBA brass expects the world to be accepting of his CHOICE! Whatta country!!!!

• jimeejohnson - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM

It’s getting better all the time as the outdated, narrow minded, and just plain ignorant become more and more a minority. Ain’t no time to hate.

15. tangledupinblue12 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

It’s not a double-standard – there’s a social context that dictates the impact words have. People praised Jason Collins for coming out because it helps open people’s minds, and sets a positive example for young gay people that being gay and being an athlete aren’t mutually exclusive.

Meanwhile, saying “no homo” after talking about being stretched out implies there’s something wrong with two men touching each other in anything other than a professional context; that it is bad and has to be denied: “Yeah, he touched me, but I’m not some awful gay guy!! it was for my muscles, no homo hahaha.” It plays to long-standing social connotations about homosexuality being icky or immoral.

And it’s really not a big deal. It’s just a joke, and based on other things Hibbert has said, I don’t really think he has any problem with gay people. He just made a silly joke. But let’s not act like apologizing for something that could be seen as mildly offensive is akin to some grand, liberal inquisition on free speech.

16. vaphinfan - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM

If people can come out and say their gay then people should be able to say their not gay. Sports and fines by comminshers is way out of hand.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Again, this was clearly not some clarification of his status. Please do better with your reasoning.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM

If you have to say you’re not gay, maybe you are.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM

“Not that there’s anything wrong with that!”

• apmn - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Don’t be daft. The purpose wasn’t to let people know he isn’t gay. It was a double entendre about anal sex. I don’t think he intended to be homophobic, but it was pretty immature and inappropriate.

17. happster - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM

That’s outrageous…clearly he’s a homo.

18. surgeonboi - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I hope the NBA suspends this homophobic numb skull despite the fact I HATE THE MIAMI HEAT (but as a Knickerbockers fan, I hate the Pacers too AND I’m sick of the Spurs )

19. portlandmainefan - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

he should not have apoligized there was no need. media guys get over yourself

20. jimeejohnson - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

He didn’t have to apologize, but he did. Apologizing is not a sign of weakness. Game 7 is up for grabs!

21. luvusa1 - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM

wow..those of you who don’t understand what this over paid jerk said then congratlations for living you life as a bigot….unreal…using the word homo is as offensive as using the n word…just thought i would educate you.

22. baredon - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Why are are these “apologies” so lame?? They are sound the same. 1) That’s not me 2) That’s not how I feel 3) That’s not what I think…

What a load of crap…!! The “made for TV” statement is just stupid… It was written by the organization PR man.

Be a man… You said it because you meant it… Man up… Stand up and take the hit…

23. reasonablemindsays - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM

If Hibbert said, “yall homos” instead of “yall mother f-ers” then I would understand the large fine. But he didn’t say that.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches