Roy Hibbert fined $75,000 for “inappropriate and vulgar language” in postgame interview

Jun 2, 2013, 7:22 PM EST

Pacers' Hibbert looks down court during Game 6 of their NBA Eastern Conference Final basketball playoff series against the Heat in Indianapolis Reuters

When you heard Roy Hibbert unfiltered after Game 6, the only question was how big a check he was going to write.

How about $75,000 big?

The league has fined Hibbert $75,000 for his postgame comments on Saturday night, the league announced. (He got a max contract last year, thanks to a Portland offer sheet, so he can afford it.)

“While Roy has issued an apology, which is no doubt sincere, a fine is necessary to reinforce that such offensive comments will not be tolerated by the NBA,” said NBA Commissioner David Stern in a released statement.

Hibbert said two inappropriate things after the game, both in interviews being broadcast nationally after the game.

The first was when asked about how he finished 10th in the NBA Defensive Player of the Year voting (something voted on by the media).

“You know what, because y’all motherf••••••s don’t watch us play throughout the year, to tell you the truth,” Hibbert said. “I don’t care if I get fined.”

But the bigger part of the fine was tied to this comment from his post-game interview room, when he was asked about the charging call he drew on LeBron at the rim and how he was focused on protecting the paint.

“There was Game 3 here that I felt I let Paul (George) down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting into the paint because they stretched me out so much — no homo (laughs) — but I want to be there for him. I think he has a chance to be MVP of this league next year.”

As noted, Hibbert apologized Sunday morning.

The league is very conscious of image over everything and the comment is offensive (the idea that you need to protect your masculinity somehow with this aside makes it offensive — you wouldn’t use that slang with another group). The league will always protect its image.

1. asimonetti88 - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Was Joe Flacco ever fined for saying retarded at the Super Bowl? Not that I condone Hibbert’s actions, but I feel like Flacco’s was a worse offense, and I can’t seem to find anything about him being punished.

• gmsingh - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Flacco was “fined” by getting a ten trillion dollar contract. Go figure.

2. 13arod - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM

he should have been suspendeted a mlb player got suspented 4 games for wearing a racial slur at least suspendeted him one game

• manofbull - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Suspendeted ??? what is that? You even typed it Twice!

suspented ??? what is that?

3. money2long - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

for some reason i feel like if someone like JR smith had said hibbert’s comments heading into a game 7, this will be a great distraction to the knicks team. for some reason, i personally think, even if the pacers lose, this incident would have had no bearing on the outcome. this pacers squad just seems so above it all. they just ball.

4. brugis23 - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM

That was a good one!- No homo

5. seabronco - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:25 AM

What an idiot!

6. bbk1000 - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:03 AM

This is silly….

I wonder what would have happened if he yelled “no hetero”????

7. allen227 - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM

David Stern is a chicken $hit coward. He’s gonna fine Roy for speaking the truth but let the heat get away with murder. He needs to leave the league and get a commissioner with a back bone.

8. klownboy - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Fined that much for saying “No homo”? Please, I’ve heard MUCH worse.

• justsomerandomguy24 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Just because he could have said something MORE offensive doesn’t make what he said acceptable. Also, whoever wrote that article you posted has the writing skills of a 7th grader…

• klownboy - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

And whoever told you it was okay to make that comment had the analytical skills of a 2nd grader…

9. 1historian - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

When it is an NFL story Mike Florio tells the story and 9 times out of 10 he ends it by moralizing about something to do with the story, doubtless because he believes we need it.

The same is true of Kurt Helin when the subject is the NBA, which begs the question – could they be one and the same?

Just wondering

• Kurt Helin - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM

No, I’m way better looking.

10. yuwannano - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM

$75K for THAT? Granted the whole “no homo” phrase is stupid and tired…but it is $75K stupid and tired??

11. unczsz1978 - Jun 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I really get tired of these OVER paid athletes running their mouths.

I think his fine should have been more, some where close to $100,000 since he has so much money to throw around now.

When you are a public figure you need to have a filter on your mouth.

Yes I’m gay. I didn’t ask for it, I was born this way. He doesn’t like gays then go to some of these crazy African countries that share his views.

In the famous words of George Jefferson: “don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya”.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches