Roy Hibbert curses, slips in “no homo” comment in post game interviews

Jun 2, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Game Six Getty Images

On the court in Game 6, Roy Hibbert did just about everything right, which is why there will be a Game 7.

Off the court in his post-game interviews, Hibbert did a whole lot wrong.

Hibbert both dropped a curse word — then said he didn’t care if he got fined — and followed it up later by using a phrase for people who are gay or lesbian that is considered offensive. The result of this is going to be a healthy fine coming down on Hibbert in the next couple days, and it’s all on him.

The first beauty came when he was asked about why he finished 10th in the Defensive Player of the Year voting, something done by the media.

“You know what, because y’all motherf••••••s don’t watch us play throughout the year, to tell you the truth,” Hibbert said in his televised interview after the game. “I don’t care if I get fined.”

You will, don’t worry.

Two other things of note for you, Hibbert:

1) Paul George, the guy sitting two feet to the left of you during this interview, won Most Improved Player (an award also voted on by the media). So, apparently media members were watching Pacers games more than you think.

2) Marc Gasol won Defensive Player of the Year, a guy from a small market on a team without a thrilling offense. He beat you because as good as you have been these playoffs he was better in the regular season (voting takes place after the season). Please accept that. Same goes for Lebron James, for that matter.

That was not even the potentially most embarrassing thing Hibbert said after the game. There was this from his press conference, talking about the foul he drew on LeBron at the rim and how he was focused on protecting the paint.

“There was Game 3 here that I felt I let Paul (George) down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting into the paint because they stretched me out so much — no homo (laughs) — but I want to be there for him. I think he has a chance to be MVP of this league next year.”

Hibbert, I just expected more from you.

I know the “no homo” thing (or “pause”) is common for some males of your generation after saying anything that could vaguely be twisted into sounding homosexual, but that doesn’t make it right. I know it’s a joke ala “that’s what she said” but you are saying it to “protect your masculinity” after a comment — that is the definition of offensive and derogatory.

Like I said, you’re a smart player and a seemingly good guy. I just expected more. I’m disappointed.

116 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. thememyselfandiguy - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:50 AM

they better fine LeBron for flopping!!!!!!!!!

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I’m sure they will. And that $5000 fine for LeBron is like a $12 fine for an average person making $43k per year. If LeBron or any professional basketball player can get an edge or win a possession or two by flopping for what’s essentially $12 they will.

2. stevietimmy - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM

“That’s pretty funny to me Roy said that live on air during the post-games. But no lie, that phrase “no homo” has to be one of the stupidest phrases of all time.”

Jeah!

3. stevietimmy - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM

“Or any of the other nbc sports blog sites…HBT is especially full of pansies”

I was wondering if I was the only person who also thought that. I wandered over there after football season and it amazes me how sensitive those… dudes… are. Especially some of the writers. I expect a slap-fight to break out at any moment.

4. davidly - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I agree with all the previous comments. But I kid.

Seriously, that’s not too classy, Roy. But let’s be clear: it wouldn’t be any better if he’d said, “That’s what she said,” I mean, depending on who “she” was supposed to have been.

Maybe it would have been had added, “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.”

I say Stern crack down bigtime and suspend both Hibbert and LBJ, the former for insinuating an aspersion against the new Black, and the latter for embracing the new Gay without a license.

5. thenew013 - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM

no homo isnt offensive its just a way of saying your not homo. had he said “im homo” he would be on a magazine cover. i can lip read and im sure the kids watching the game sees every player screaming the F word. i commend him for not putting on an act in front of the cameras. i wish the league just let guys be themselves and say what they really feel. a curse word and a joke is nothing compared to the foulness of todays society.

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

The “F” word shouldn’t be offensive. It’s a word. Homo, on the other hand, is taking a person and using them as an offensive term. It’s not a huge deal, but “homo” is different than the “F” word or any other swear word.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Brilliant logic by you, fanofthegame SMH.

/sarcasm

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

How is it not brilliant logic wright? F word is a word – has nothing to do with any person, group, lifestyle… Homo is a word that specifically targets another being. Logic is sound, my friend. I didn’t say people shouldn’t be offended by the f word, just saying there is a difference when discussing being empathetic of other people.

• borderline1988 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Wrong. These players make millions of dollars because they play a game that can be broadcasted to millions of people on TV. There are certain guidelines and rules regarding what TV broadcasters can show, and if NBA players want the largest audience possible (to make the most money), then they need to cater to that audience and follow those rules.

Nobody gives a s*** if Hibbert gets home and curses for 10 hours straight. But if you do it on national tv…it’s a different story (for a family entertainment show…).

6. breastfedted - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I’m sure Roy is so sad that Kurt Helin is disappointed in him. He wakes up every morning thinking “How can I please Kurt Helin?” What a high opinion Kurt must have of himself, he seems like almost as big of a joke as Craig Calcaterra or Chris Chase

7. fishfiletkray - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

It’s funny how most people agree that what he said isn’t offensive. It’s the media driving all this. It shows you how much power they really have. It also shows what tools these writers are.

8. jtchernak - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Nobody cares what you think Kurt! “I’m disappointed” shut up nobody cares

9. jthammerstix - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Big freaking deal

• sabatimus - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Seriously. In the context of what he said I’m not sure why he even had to say “no homo”. Hmm, wait a minute: did he feel the need to say “no homo” because of “I want to be there for him”? Is that Hibbert’s threshold?

• stm08007 - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

lol not even close, how do you not get the joke? it was to go along with him saying that he “was getting stretched out” on defense… use your head, in what other circumstances would a dude “get stretched out”?

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM

“Stretched me out so much”

Come on man.

10. titansbro - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

The writer of this article has sand in his vagina…. homo indeed.

11. seanpthomas - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM

@Kurt Helin. I’m disappointed you wasted ink to write this article. People of his generation? How would you respond being under scrutiny all the time. Hibbert do you. I’m glad he isn’t worried about a fine because people will always find something wrong with your comments, actions, beliefs. etc. Freedom of speech…whats that? Ooops you can’t say that…someone might get offended.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Freedom of speech is different than freedom of consequences from your speech. While many may not want to admit it that bit of slang is derogatory.

• jimsjam33 - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Isn’t it also repressive that any mention of God or Jesus is also suppressed in your articles ; however , you seem to be the vanguard of defense when it comes to defending same sex attraction athletes or individuals . To stand up and encourage a sinful nature is an abomination . Your actions are duly noted .

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Freedom of speech in 2013 is only afforded to people who agree with liberal agendas.

As long as we will all admit this, I won’t have any problems. Trouble is, liberals won’t ever admit it.

12. sdemp - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM

It would be nice if “our generation”, actually no, the old people of our generation weren’t so sensitive. It doesn’t matter what you, someone is going to be offended and cry about it.

And we complain about the kids, look no further than the parents. . . what is this world coming to.

• conjecture101 - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Its coming to people like you being offended that people are offended. You’d prefer to live in a world where everyone thinks and feels exactly like you do, If so, I recommend getting out of America.

13. chucknorrissinspiration - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Get off his nuts. So what if you expected more from him, and you are upset and or disappointed now. Whooptie friggin doo. He spoke his mind and you don’t like? Sounds to me like you’ve got a problem. Just be grateful that you type you thoughts and opinions on the Internet for a living, and you don’t have to actually work like most of the rest of us in the world.

• nbascreed - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Kurt’s a beta male. He’s doing what beta males do. Watch alphas and commentate.

14. eagles512 - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Don’t think it’s all that offensive but I question a guys intelligence when they let things like that slip.

15. gbpakrfan - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM

He will pay for what he said….with a Game 7 loss!!!!

Karma will get you…..

16. patfic15 - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Oh no! Here comes the waaaaaambulance! Get a life and stop reporting this propaganda garbage. MSM—we get your point.

17. Punk - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I am an out of state supporter of the Pacers and look to this site for Pacer news. Judged by the amount of press this site has given the Pacers this year Hibbert is right. You don’t watch Pacer games.

This team is one game away from the Finals and the nation is just now learning what Hibbert and George have been doing for months.

18. bbk1000 - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You know the league wants Miami in the finals so why would you say something like to tick them off?

19. savvybynature - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I made this comment and it was promptly blocked by Helin:
    “Really? You’re offended by a no-homo joke? Really?
    It’s just a joke. I know actual homosexuals who aren’t offended by no-homo jokes.
    Is it possible you were just being defensive here because Hibbert called out the media for the DPOY voting? I know you talked up Marc Gasol quite a bit and then his defense looked pedestrian at best against Tony Parker and the Spurs.”
    No cursing. No personal insults hurled. No real reason to censor the comment.
    Either Helin really is the most easily offended individual ever to work in media, or I hit the nail on the head about him just being defensive about his DPOY vote.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Comments are not blocked, but because of language the majority of comments on this post are moderated for approval by the system. I am going through and doing that, but it turns out I sleep so I’m a bit behind on those.

I think the homosexuals you know not offended by homosexual jokes are just patronizing you, for the record. Again, this aside is a joke to protect your masculinity after a “gay” comment — that is offensive to any thinking person. That simple. That people see it as just a joke speaks to them, not the comment.

• fearthehoody - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Can they block all Kurt’s articles?

• brookwell2013 - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Excellent work on the article Kurt. Mr. Hibbert’s “no homo” comment was bigotry in its purest form. If someone needs to have an explanation as to why it’s bigotry then they are just as ignorant and prejudiced as Mr. Hibbert. We are better than that and we really need to be better than that for our kids.

• goldkj - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

It’s only offensive if you’re constantly looking for a reason to be offended, which tends to be the case with media types. It’s tiresome. Next subject.

• leearmon - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

This comment made me laugh literally out loud. For close to two years my comments specifically have been delayed for sometimes 4 days before posting, and it wasn’t until I recently posted a comment as my own reply asking why my comments get delayed (on a post with only like 5 or 6 responses no less) it actually got put up. Never have there been any homosexual slander, cursing or anything negative in any of my posts. So sorry, calling your bluff.

In any event, Hibbert’s spotlight is growing, so he can’t have it both ways. He can’t beg for attention, then say something that, whether you deem it offensive or not, (one can argue that phrase isn’t offensive just in bad taste) will give a significant portion of the viewing public a bad taste in their mouths. I grew up with Hibbert, wouldn’t say I “know” him, but have a decent level of back and forth with him for several years to know he’s not a homophobe. It was an off color comment, which Im sure Czar Stern will make him pay for.

As for the 10th in DPOY voting, you were very political in responding to his harsh criticism. You beautifully found ways to dismiss his claim that the media was waaaaay out of whack by having him 10th this season, by not actually addressing that the media voted him 10th this season. Just because Paul George won MIP doesn’t mean the media paid close attention to the Pacers. MIP is usually the worst voted on award, because most times it just seems people look at the stat sheet, see which player increased their PPG, and RPG from one season to the next without any consideration of usage or efficiency and hand it out. Perfect example Ryan Anderson last season had a fantastic year, but his TS% dropped, his eFg% dropped, defense got worse yet he won the award over Ersan Ilyasova who posted significant increases in shooting, rebounding etc. Anderson also won it over Pekovic. But i digress. PG should have won it this year, but that doesn’t mean the media didn’t royally screw up placing Hibbert 10th in DPOY voting, placing him behind this generation’s Bill Russell Serge Ibaka (kidding) or one place ahead of Chris Paul.

So while distasteful on one point, he’s dead on the main one. The media probably didn’t watch enough Pacers’ games this season, with the possible exception of a few (looking at John Schumann and Zach Lowe). Maybe if Hollinger took a job in Indy, he would have won the award this year, Lets not forget, Indy had the best Def eff this season, one spot ahead of Memphis’.

• nbascreed - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Don’t let beta male Kurt fool you…he and the other writers BLOCK or severely delay comments on this board based on their whim.

• savvybynature - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Meh. One of the guys I was referring to was a best man in my wedding. I kind of doubt he’s just been patronizing me for the last 15 years of our friendship. Homosexuals are just like anyone else: Some are more easily offended than others, and some have an off-beat sense of humor and some don’t. They aren’t some monolithic group of people where they all think alike and hold the same opinions.
        As for Hibbert’s comment, I agree that it was crude and juvenile and better suited to a conversation among friends than a press conference. It was in poor taste. Still don’t really think it was an “anti-gay slur,” as it has been framed by ESPN and similarly elsewhere including on this blog.
        Thanks for taking the time to respond. While I don’t fully understand your explanation of why my original comment never showed up, I appreciate that you take the time to engage your readers.

• savvybynature - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

“Again, this aside is a joke to protect your masculinity after a ‘gay’ comment”

You clearly don’t get the joke. If you said, “That guy is really attractive — no homo,” that wouldn’t be a joke. It’s not funny. It’s not the correct context for no-homo jokes.
        Instead, you say it after relatively ordinary and benign comments, because then it seems like you are being defensive about being a homosexual for no reason. That’s the joke. Like saying, “I’m going to go get the socks out of the dryer — no homo.” The guy who says it is the only one who initially puts the comment in question into a sexual context, and what the hell is he sitting there thinking about while we have this conversation (or this ECF press conference)?
        I’ve never even made a no-homo joke — they are pretty juvenile and would get old fast I imagine — but even I get the joke.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Jokes are funny, this is not. It is on it’s face offensive. That you don’t see that speaks to you.

20. fearthehoody - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Uh oh! Here come 20 articles about gay related content! This site is getting ridiculous

21. thraiderskin - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

While I think you might have a point Kurt, in reference to savvybynature’s anecdotal evidence/example, I do think that when emotions get stirred sometimes the locker room language gets utilized without intent. This is hardly the best defense for Hibbert, but foul language is also offensive to many and that still slipped out. We can get sensitive about a lot of things, but in the end little harm was actually done. Hibbert offended lots of people (not me) with his comments, focusing on the gay movement does little to advance the discussion.

22. talkingfan - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Let it go, stop making a big deal outta everything sum1 say, be the bigger person and learn to look over statement you don’t like people.

23. 13arod - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

hope he gets fined good and suspended for saying that that that is wrong to say that

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Why? Because Miami can only win if he’s out? Right.

24. sportfan2 - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

The small market comment he made I think Hibbert is correct. Has for the most part always been that way.

But, if he wants more attention this is not the kind of attention that will benefit him.

25. 25jjc25 - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Man when I grew up my parents taught me the old adage that “sticks and stones may break my bones but words would never hurt me”. What happened to those days? We now live in a day and age where every little thing is taken and put under a microscope. If I worried about every little hurtful thing that someone said to me or around me I would not be able to focus on anything else. So Hibbert so “no homo” big deal. What about those who don’t want to see or promote gay and lesbian rights? I guess they can’t say anything out of fear that they will offend someone who is gay or lesbain. They just have to shut up and take it. Now days every one has to be so PC, no matter what side of the fence you are on. He said No Homo and that offends and hurts so many people. Grow thicker skin people. What we are actually doing is raising a generation where eventually free speech will no longer be free. You won’t be able to say one word with out offending some group out there. People who get offended by words are giving that person too much attention in their life and need to start paying attention to something else.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches