Jun 2, 2013, 1:29 AM EST
Off the court in his post-game interviews, Hibbert did a whole lot wrong.
Hibbert both dropped a curse word — then said he didn’t care if he got fined — and followed it up later by using a phrase for people who are gay or lesbian that is considered offensive. The result of this is going to be a healthy fine coming down on Hibbert in the next couple days, and it’s all on him.
The first beauty came when he was asked about why he finished 10th in the Defensive Player of the Year voting, something done by the media.
“You know what, because y’all motherf••••••s don’t watch us play throughout the year, to tell you the truth,” Hibbert said in his televised interview after the game. “I don’t care if I get fined.”
You will, don’t worry.
Two other things of note for you, Hibbert:
1) Paul George, the guy sitting two feet to the left of you during this interview, won Most Improved Player (an award also voted on by the media). So, apparently media members were watching Pacers games more than you think.
2) Marc Gasol won Defensive Player of the Year, a guy from a small market on a team without a thrilling offense. He beat you because as good as you have been these playoffs he was better in the regular season (voting takes place after the season). Please accept that. Same goes for Lebron James, for that matter.
That was not even the potentially most embarrassing thing Hibbert said after the game. There was this from his press conference, talking about the foul he drew on LeBron at the rim and how he was focused on protecting the paint.
“There was Game 3 here that I felt I let Paul (George) down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting into the paint because they stretched me out so much — no homo (laughs) — but I want to be there for him. I think he has a chance to be MVP of this league next year.”
Hibbert, I just expected more from you.
I know the “no homo” thing (or “pause”) is common for some males of your generation after saying anything that could vaguely be twisted into sounding homosexual, but that doesn’t make it right. I know it’s a joke ala “that’s what she said” but you are saying it to “protect your masculinity” after a comment — that is the definition of offensive and derogatory.
Like I said, you’re a smart player and a seemingly good guy. I just expected more. I’m disappointed.
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 3
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 5
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5