Roy Hibbert curses, slips in “no homo” comment in post game interviews

Jun 2, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Game Six Getty Images

On the court in Game 6, Roy Hibbert did just about everything right, which is why there will be a Game 7.

Off the court in his post-game interviews, Hibbert did a whole lot wrong.

Hibbert both dropped a curse word — then said he didn’t care if he got fined — and followed it up later by using a phrase for people who are gay or lesbian that is considered offensive. The result of this is going to be a healthy fine coming down on Hibbert in the next couple days, and it’s all on him.

The first beauty came when he was asked about why he finished 10th in the Defensive Player of the Year voting, something done by the media.

“You know what, because y’all motherf••••••s don’t watch us play throughout the year, to tell you the truth,” Hibbert said in his televised interview after the game. “I don’t care if I get fined.”

You will, don’t worry.

Two other things of note for you, Hibbert:

1) Paul George, the guy sitting two feet to the left of you during this interview, won Most Improved Player (an award also voted on by the media). So, apparently media members were watching Pacers games more than you think.

2) Marc Gasol won Defensive Player of the Year, a guy from a small market on a team without a thrilling offense. He beat you because as good as you have been these playoffs he was better in the regular season (voting takes place after the season). Please accept that. Same goes for Lebron James, for that matter.

That was not even the potentially most embarrassing thing Hibbert said after the game. There was this from his press conference, talking about the foul he drew on LeBron at the rim and how he was focused on protecting the paint.

“There was Game 3 here that I felt I let Paul (George) down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting into the paint because they stretched me out so much — no homo (laughs) — but I want to be there for him. I think he has a chance to be MVP of this league next year.”

Hibbert, I just expected more from you.

I know the “no homo” thing (or “pause”) is common for some males of your generation after saying anything that could vaguely be twisted into sounding homosexual, but that doesn’t make it right. I know it’s a joke ala “that’s what she said” but you are saying it to “protect your masculinity” after a comment — that is the definition of offensive and derogatory.

Like I said, you’re a smart player and a seemingly good guy. I just expected more. I’m disappointed.

116 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. miketoddryan - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM

America lip reading Kobe’s F****** F***** or Hibbert’s “No homo” slip more offensive? Judges?

2. youcantmakemepickausername - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM

He obviously shouldn’t have said it, but I hadn’t heard anything about this until I got in the car and ESPN radio was on. They were bleeping out the “no homo” comment so I had no idea what word/words he used until I came here to see. Not gonna lie, the way they were talking about it on the radio I thought he said something much worse.

It kind of reminds me of the whole Randy Moss “mooning” the crowd at Lambeau. I don’t remember what I was doing, but I had stepped away from the TV so I didn’t see what he did, but I heard Buck and Aikman (especially Buck) reacting to it and I thought he really did actually moon the crowd.

3. bigtrav425 - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Nothing wrong or offensive with that remark unless your a overly PC douche bag…Homo is not a derogatory word or phrase either

4. mcc325 - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

In game 5. LBJ gave a fiery speech where he dropped at least 6 f-bombs and he was commended for being a leader. So to pretend to be offended by Hibberts language is comical.. The no-homo stuff was bad, and he made a mistake, like most of us do. Hibberts a good dude who made a mistake- hopefully he’ll learn and we can all learn from it and move on. Pretty minor story IMO, players/coaches have said and done much worse

• Kurt Helin - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Dropping F-bombs in a team huddle and in a national television interview are very different things.

5. Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM

It was perfect usage, perfect timing, aptly required, given the quote. Cam’ron even has to give him shouts for this. Hopefully VADO or Cam mention him in a song this summer.

6. Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Jason Collins: “I’m a homosexual” #Cheers
    Roy Hibbert: “I’m not a homosexual” #Evil

MAKES SENSE.

7. remmsterr - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

So what if Marc Gasol played in a small market? TNT and ESPN/ABC broadcasted a lot more Grizzlies games nationally than Pacers games. To be completely honest, the only times I’ve actually seen a Pacers game on TV before the Playoffs was when they either played the Celtics or I watched NBA TV’s live look ins. But it seemed like every other week there was a Grizzlies game on the 10 pm. Slot or 3 pm slot on Sundays.

• melkipershero - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Memphis is one of the smallest markets in the league. Just because they get more games on ESPN doesn’t change the market size.

8. portlandmainefan - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

really? seriously? your disappointed that a 22 year old spent athlete slipped after an emotional battle? the media tries to get this out of these guys then castrates them for it…

9. spideysdog - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:22 AM

never, ever, did I think that I would be siding with Helin. this is a bad day.

A. for everyone on here saying “no homo” is not offensive….. if you”re not gay, then shut the hell up. that’s like me, as a white heterosexual male, walking around saing no negro, or no oriental and saying ot isn’t offensive. I will say this slowly for all you narrow minded bigots…. if you aren’t the minority being referenced, there is no humanly way you can decide whether something is offensive or not.

b. if a white player sat in a locker room and made “no negro” comments, half of you on here would blasting him. you can’t pick and choose.

c. “freedom of speech”? seriously? there’s an old addage “it’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt”. freedom of speech does not cover hate speech. it’s called an education. find one.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches