Jun 2, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
Off the court in his post-game interviews, Hibbert did a whole lot wrong.
Hibbert both dropped a curse word — then said he didn’t care if he got fined — and followed it up later by using a phrase for people who are gay or lesbian that is considered offensive. The result of this is going to be a healthy fine coming down on Hibbert in the next couple days, and it’s all on him.
The first beauty came when he was asked about why he finished 10th in the Defensive Player of the Year voting, something done by the media.
“You know what, because y’all motherf••••••s don’t watch us play throughout the year, to tell you the truth,” Hibbert said in his televised interview after the game. “I don’t care if I get fined.”
You will, don’t worry.
Two other things of note for you, Hibbert:
1) Paul George, the guy sitting two feet to the left of you during this interview, won Most Improved Player (an award also voted on by the media). So, apparently media members were watching Pacers games more than you think.
2) Marc Gasol won Defensive Player of the Year, a guy from a small market on a team without a thrilling offense. He beat you because as good as you have been these playoffs he was better in the regular season (voting takes place after the season). Please accept that. Same goes for Lebron James, for that matter.
That was not even the potentially most embarrassing thing Hibbert said after the game. There was this from his press conference, talking about the foul he drew on LeBron at the rim and how he was focused on protecting the paint.
“There was Game 3 here that I felt I let Paul (George) down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting into the paint because they stretched me out so much — no homo (laughs) — but I want to be there for him. I think he has a chance to be MVP of this league next year.”
Hibbert, I just expected more from you.
I know the “no homo” thing (or “pause”) is common for some males of your generation after saying anything that could vaguely be twisted into sounding homosexual, but that doesn’t make it right. I know it’s a joke ala “that’s what she said” but you are saying it to “protect your masculinity” after a comment — that is the definition of offensive and derogatory.
Like I said, you’re a smart player and a seemingly good guy. I just expected more. I’m disappointed.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 9
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 28
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17