Jun 1, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Once the report came out that Dwight Howard was “most intrigued” by the Rockets in free agency, it was guaranteed that the Houston franchise would begin to put plans in motion to do everything in its power to give itself the best chance at landing the All-Star center this summer.
The Rockets let teams around the league know that Thomas Robinson could be had essentially for free, just so they could shed salary in an attempt to create the cap space necessary to sign Howard to the max contract he will require.
It would appear that these overtures from Houston have been well received by the Howard camp.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Sources close to the process told ESPN.com that the Rockets have received what has been described as “hopeful signals” that Howard is seriously considering a jump from the Lakers to the Rockets after becoming a free agent July 1.
Although the Rockets are well aware that Howard has a penchant for changing his mind, sources say that Howard has conveyed his rising interest to Houston star swingman James Harden, a fellow West All-Star.
It’s no secret that the Rockets present what might be viewed as an easier path to success for Howard in the next stage of his career. While no championship is assured with Howard and James Harden as a team’s focal points, one isn’t expected in Houston, either — which may be as important as anything to Howard when choosing his free agent destination.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 7
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15