Jun 1, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Now that the Raptors have locked up the services of a superstar general manager on the rise, the next order of business for Masai Ujiri is to correct the mistakes that have been made under the previous regime.
The biggest of those involves Andrea Bargnani, the former number one overall pick who still has two more years and more than $22 million remaining on his contract.
It’s no surprise, then, that trying to rid the team of that burdensome commitment is at the very top of Ujiri’s to-do list.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
First order of biz for new Raps GM Masai Ujiri: Word is he’ll shop Andrea Bargnani everywhere he can in hopes of moving him before July 1
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 1, 2013
It would be difficult to see a willing trade partner lining up to take on what has become a terrible contract for two more seasons, and that’s putting it mildly.
Bargnani has been limited by an elbow injury in each of the last two seasons, and he was forced to miss the Raptors’ final 19 games of the one that just concluded. He doesn’t defend well, he’s never been anywhere close to consistent as a rebounder despite his seven-foot frame, and his shooting numbers would be seen by most as barely being average.
Stranger things have happened, and remember, Ujiri did get quite a bit of assets in return for Carmelo Anthony, even when he was dealing from a position of considerable weakness. But even if no one wants Bargnani and his contract at any price, the good news is that the Raptors may still waive him under the league’s amnesty provision, thus giving Ujiri and the fan base in Toronto their highly coveted fresh start.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4