Jun 1, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Now that the issue of the Kings ownership has been officially settled and with the team expected to stay in Sacramento for the foreseeable future, the NBA wants to ensure that all those promises made by the new owners are met in a timely fashion.
The one at the top of the list is coming through with a new arena in Sacramento to replace the decrepit Arco (now Sleep Train, or whatever) that has become completely out of date and honestly, is unfit to host the NBA’s level of basketball.
All signs point to the new ownership group being the real deal, but in order to avoid any hiccups along the way, the NBA has strict deadlines in place to make sure the arena project moves forward as scheduled.
From the Sacramento Bee:
Hours after Vivek Ranadive and his partners completed the record-setting purchase of the franchise from the Maloof family, NBA Commissioner David Stern revealed that the Ranadive group must meet “a series of benchmarks” for a new arena – or risk losing the Kings to another city.
If deadlines are blown, Stern told The Sacramento Bee, the NBA has the option of pulling the Kings out of Sacramento and arranging for the team’s sale to new owners.
The Ranadive group agreed to the deadlines in writing, Stern said.
No worries, obviously, as long as the Kings’ new ownership group makes good on its promises.
But it is interesting, and certainly worth noting that the threat of ripping the team from Sacramento still remains if the current owners are for some reason unable to keep their commitments.
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 4
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 19
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 9
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6