Jun 1, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Now that the issue of the Kings ownership has been officially settled and with the team expected to stay in Sacramento for the foreseeable future, the NBA wants to ensure that all those promises made by the new owners are met in a timely fashion.
The one at the top of the list is coming through with a new arena in Sacramento to replace the decrepit Arco (now Sleep Train, or whatever) that has become completely out of date and honestly, is unfit to host the NBA’s level of basketball.
All signs point to the new ownership group being the real deal, but in order to avoid any hiccups along the way, the NBA has strict deadlines in place to make sure the arena project moves forward as scheduled.
From the Sacramento Bee:
Hours after Vivek Ranadive and his partners completed the record-setting purchase of the franchise from the Maloof family, NBA Commissioner David Stern revealed that the Ranadive group must meet “a series of benchmarks” for a new arena – or risk losing the Kings to another city.
If deadlines are blown, Stern told The Sacramento Bee, the NBA has the option of pulling the Kings out of Sacramento and arranging for the team’s sale to new owners.
The Ranadive group agreed to the deadlines in writing, Stern said.
No worries, obviously, as long as the Kings’ new ownership group makes good on its promises.
But it is interesting, and certainly worth noting that the threat of ripping the team from Sacramento still remains if the current owners are for some reason unable to keep their commitments.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)