Jun 1, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Now that the issue of the Kings ownership has been officially settled and with the team expected to stay in Sacramento for the foreseeable future, the NBA wants to ensure that all those promises made by the new owners are met in a timely fashion.
The one at the top of the list is coming through with a new arena in Sacramento to replace the decrepit Arco (now Sleep Train, or whatever) that has become completely out of date and honestly, is unfit to host the NBA’s level of basketball.
All signs point to the new ownership group being the real deal, but in order to avoid any hiccups along the way, the NBA has strict deadlines in place to make sure the arena project moves forward as scheduled.
From the Sacramento Bee:
Hours after Vivek Ranadive and his partners completed the record-setting purchase of the franchise from the Maloof family, NBA Commissioner David Stern revealed that the Ranadive group must meet “a series of benchmarks” for a new arena – or risk losing the Kings to another city.
If deadlines are blown, Stern told The Sacramento Bee, the NBA has the option of pulling the Kings out of Sacramento and arranging for the team’s sale to new owners.
The Ranadive group agreed to the deadlines in writing, Stern said.
No worries, obviously, as long as the Kings’ new ownership group makes good on its promises.
But it is interesting, and certainly worth noting that the threat of ripping the team from Sacramento still remains if the current owners are for some reason unable to keep their commitments.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18