Jun 1, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Now that the issue of the Kings ownership has been officially settled and with the team expected to stay in Sacramento for the foreseeable future, the NBA wants to ensure that all those promises made by the new owners are met in a timely fashion.
The one at the top of the list is coming through with a new arena in Sacramento to replace the decrepit Arco (now Sleep Train, or whatever) that has become completely out of date and honestly, is unfit to host the NBA’s level of basketball.
All signs point to the new ownership group being the real deal, but in order to avoid any hiccups along the way, the NBA has strict deadlines in place to make sure the arena project moves forward as scheduled.
From the Sacramento Bee:
Hours after Vivek Ranadive and his partners completed the record-setting purchase of the franchise from the Maloof family, NBA Commissioner David Stern revealed that the Ranadive group must meet “a series of benchmarks” for a new arena – or risk losing the Kings to another city.
If deadlines are blown, Stern told The Sacramento Bee, the NBA has the option of pulling the Kings out of Sacramento and arranging for the team’s sale to new owners.
The Ranadive group agreed to the deadlines in writing, Stern said.
No worries, obviously, as long as the Kings’ new ownership group makes good on its promises.
But it is interesting, and certainly worth noting that the threat of ripping the team from Sacramento still remains if the current owners are for some reason unable to keep their commitments.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11