Jun 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Spurs have an extended layoff thanks to taking care of the Memphis Grizzlies with a four game sweep in the Western Conference Finals. As they practice and await the conclusion of the series between the Heat and the Pacers, questions naturally arise as to whether or not the team has a preference in who it would like to face in the championship round.
While most players are usually diplomatic or refuse to answer, Manu Ginobili was fine in coming out and saying that he’d rather see Indiana in the Finals than the defending champions from Miami — but not because he thinks one team would be a better matchup.
“It’s not that we pull (for Indiana),” he said. “I think this time it’s different than before because the homecourt advantage. It is a big difference. It’s not definitive. It doesn’t mean that whoever has homecourt advantage is going to win. But we all prefer to have a Game 7 at home than on the road if we could get to that point. But besides that, different styles, I think we can match up with both.”
Championship teams usually have to win one or more games on the road, especially in the Finals where the format switches to 2-3-2 in terms of where the games are played.
But Ginobili is right when he says a Game 7 at home is something to be valued, so there’s no shame in his rooting a little bit for the Pacers to come back and win the series, considering it would mean home court advantage for the Spurs in the NBA Finals.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31