Dwyane Wade discusses trying to push through knee issue that has him playing at less than 100 percent

Jun 1, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT

Dwyane Wade AP

There was a time not that long ago when LeBron James wouldn’t even begin to entertain questions about Dwyane Wade‘s ailing knee, or even let his teammate answer any questions about it himself.

Things have apparently changed after Wade’s nonexistent Game 5 performance, where he was clearly limited by the knee as much as he’s been at any time to this point in the postseason.

After the Heat practiced on Friday, both James and Wade spoke openly about the knee issue, and the fact that Wade was clearly not close to 100 percent.

“Very tough, but I can’t sit at home,” Wade said, when asked how difficult it was for him to continue to push through his knee injury. “I have to come in and I have to do what I can every day and every night to help my team win.”

“I understand that he’s not 100% and he’s giving us everything that he has,” James said.

Wade is doing some little things out there, in terms of defending, rebounding, and assisting his teammates. But he’s a liability offensively, given the fact that he has no discernable burst right now, and his jumpshot seems to be lacking in any lift.

Still, Wade and the team feel that his being on the floor for extended minutes brings more positives than it does negatives. Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra praised Wade’s contributions following that crucial Game 5 victory.

“[He's] a warrior,” Spoelstra said. “I know that I’ll go back and see a lot of the defensive plays that he made. Even if he’s not turning the corner and making plays for necessarily himself, he’s getting things going for us. And we’re able to run our offense through him and get the ball moving. He was good and active on his cuts. I was actually encouraged tonight.”

When Wade was asked if he had to have a conversation with James about his relative health for a particular game, he said it wasn’t necessary, that there’s a bond between the two where it’s understood. But he’s determined to remain out there in any capacity he can in order to help bring his team across the finish line.

“It’s understood,” Wade said. “My other thing is I can tell him I give you everything I got, and that’s all I can do. Me being on the floor, me being out there, obviously everyone looks at scoring ‑‑ and the other two. I would love to score 20 or 30 a night. Everyone looks every game just how many points I put up, and that determines my success. That don’t really determine my success on this team every night. We understand that.

“So I go out there some nights and I do ‑‑ even when I was feeling great, I did what I need to do for my team to win a game. That’s the reason I’m here. Tomorrow is a night if I’m feeling better and I can go for more points, I’ll try to be aggressive. But if it’s a game I have to make plays for other guys to get shots and give up myself, that’s what I do.

“It’s about winning at this time of year,” Wade said. “It’s not about any individual.”

1. bowmanj35 - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I get so friggin sick and tired of hearing about whiny Mr Glass’ injuries every year. This guys a joke without the king. Its no surprise LBJ sent a shot across the bow with his Cleveland comment… other chumps standing around watching.

• sprint32 - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:32 AM

You are an idiot. Wade was a Champ before Lebron got there. Wade is one of the best player of all time. LBJ didnt send a shot at noone. That is you reading your own meaning into his comments.

• emosnar - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM

And Hibbert is slowed by knees to the nuts and cheap shots to his knees. They all have something wrong. Wade quit making excuses after the whole world called you and your team out for not helping Leroy James. Think about all the Pacer players slowed by your unpredictable flying elbow smashes. Everyone is slowed. Even birdman rightfully and thankfully. You should be right there with him. DIRTY PLAYER AWARD GOES TO . . . . .

2. livingsacrifice86 - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I have to wonder why Spoelstra hasn’t gone with Miller for a few mins each game? He rebounds, plays d, and can shoot lights out. Sure wade is capable of putting up some good numbers even limited, but he’s a liability right now

• sprint32 - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Miller plays no defense. He might play since BM is out but they need D on the court more than they need Millers shot.

3. realninerfan22 - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM

How the hell is he a liabilty? He’s been playing great defense on paul George blockim shots, getting key rebounds in big spots, creating shots for others.. Game 1 he hit the go ahead basket to put the heat up, until ray missed a freetrow.. Game 3 d wadr controlled the whole floor while getting everyone involved in blew out the pacers at therw house.. So how has he been a liability?? Game 2 lbj lost that one with them 2 turnovers. Game 4 lbj key turnover at the end of the 3rd that cost the heat 3 points not to mention the 4 fouls, lbj fan boi Brian widhorst even said that was the worse 4th quarter he ever seen lbj play.. D wade well cum thru like always real heat fans no this.. Quit overlooking d wade other aspect he brings to the game.. In d wade i trust

• sprint32 - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:38 AM

So what ever Windhorst says is true? Lebron is the only reason they are up. Lebrons didnt have a bad 4th quater in game 4. He guarded and shut down D.West in the fourth. And those T.O were not the only reason for that loss. Wade is clearly not the same player with the knee injury. Heat fans as myself who know basketball know D.Wade has to take a back seat to Chris and Lebron with the scoring and contribute other ways such as D, assist, and rebounding.

4. cspuck7 - Jun 1, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Man if this knee gets any worse, he’ll need a wheelchair! Oops, sorry, thats only for dislocated shoulders

5. cantonbound13 - Jun 1, 2013 at 7:29 AM

STFU Drama Queen!

• leahcima1 - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Oh now we hear from little Miss. Melo. Cantonbound13 is having a hard time getting over his N. Y. Melo’s, formerly known as the Knicks, falling on the butts again, and again, and again. ad naseum.

• jt1138 - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

You’re one to talk

6. beachsidejames - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM

When your team gets beat by a drama queen on one leg ..that has to be hard to take.

7. gmsingh - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Let’s be honest: Wade falls to the floor after every single shot. How many times has he injured his knee doing this?

8. reedme16 - Jun 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Wade has been playing really good defense. He just needs to put more pressure on the defense of he is going to bring the ball down. When he gets the ball on rebounds he tried to walk the ball up the court. That plays into the Pacers hands. He needs to play off the ball a lot more if he is not going to attack the rim, because he isn’t helping the offense with the ball I’m his hands.

Mike Miller has to be hurt. He hit a three in game one and then limped off the court. Could play Cole and Chalmers together more but both have trouble guarding Stephenson. So there is not a lot of options. Wade just has to come off the ball and Bosh has to be more aggressive.

9. tmdill18 - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM

What did he say? “It’s about winning”. More appropriately, “it’s about whining”. What is the over/under in game 6 for Wade driving to the basket, flailing into a vertical defender, throwing up a prayer, falling to the floor, rightfully not getting a call, and then running back down the court while giving the ref a death stare. I would say at least a 5.

10. jzone954 - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

@Cantonbound

Bro….I’ve never seen someone post and troll irrelevant nonsense as much as you. Ins starting to have a shred of a inch of lint more respect for the infamous Mr.”the Knicks were built to be the heat” wright then you…..at least he knows when to shut up because he’s team has been eliminated That is all. God Bless

• leahcima1 - Jun 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Hey, don’t be mean to cantonbound13. He’s sensitive. It’s not easy losing year, after year, after year, after year, ad naseum. Can you imagine getting up every morning and looking into a mirror and seeing …

11. mlor3 - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

When you underperform, you simply say, “I’m injured.”

12. troxpin - Jun 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

You guys are so unfair….You have Chris Bosh who is healthy and is contributing absolutely nothing on both ends of the floor, yet he’s getting no criticisim. D-wade may not be scoring but that’s the only stat that has gone down, everything else has either remained the same or increase…. D-wade is probably the most under rated guard in the league..How many guards you know at 6’4 that can fill up the stats sheet every night…assist,rebounds,steals,blocks,points, in addition to defending other guards 6’6 and up…. You tell me?? This guy is great, trust me…

13. glink123 - Jun 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM