May 31, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
This news really shouldn’t be a surprise — Nerlens Noel, because of his potential, is on top of everybody’s draft board. Well, not everybody because this time of year some media member is always making the pitch why the No. 2 or No. 3 picks should be taken over the presumptive No. 1. There were people pitching Carmelo Anthony over LeBron James in 2003.
Noel is the presumptive No. 1 and on the top of the Cavaliers draft board, reports Chad Ford of ESPN (behind the ESPN paywall).
The Cavs are on the clock with the No. 1 pick. Sources say that Kentucky center Nerlens Noel remains atop their team Big Board. However, Georgetown forward Otto Porter Jr. and Maryland center Alex Len are also in the mix….
Cavs general manager Chris Grant and his staff spent more time than anyone watching Noel this season, according to Kentucky head coach John Calipari. In fact, Grant recommended the surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, that Noel used for his ACL surgery. The Cavs also lean heavily on advanced metrics, and those numbers, regardless of the system, strongly favor Noel.
The Cavaliers are going to shop this pick around, mostly because Dan Gilbert is putting pressure on the front office to make the playoffs — waiting a season or two for Noel to recover from ACL surgery and find his form doesn’t fit with that plan.
But the rule No. 1 in drafting for the NBA is take the best available player. (Most teams use a tier system, where they rank players by tiers and then by fit within those tiers.) If the Cavaliers think Noel is the best player, on a tier of his own, take him. If your biggest problem is having too many talented players at one position, there are good ways to deal with that.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 20
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22