May 31, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
This news really shouldn’t be a surprise — Nerlens Noel, because of his potential, is on top of everybody’s draft board. Well, not everybody because this time of year some media member is always making the pitch why the No. 2 or No. 3 picks should be taken over the presumptive No. 1. There were people pitching Carmelo Anthony over LeBron James in 2003.
Noel is the presumptive No. 1 and on the top of the Cavaliers draft board, reports Chad Ford of ESPN (behind the ESPN paywall).
The Cavs are on the clock with the No. 1 pick. Sources say that Kentucky center Nerlens Noel remains atop their team Big Board. However, Georgetown forward Otto Porter Jr. and Maryland center Alex Len are also in the mix….
Cavs general manager Chris Grant and his staff spent more time than anyone watching Noel this season, according to Kentucky head coach John Calipari. In fact, Grant recommended the surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, that Noel used for his ACL surgery. The Cavs also lean heavily on advanced metrics, and those numbers, regardless of the system, strongly favor Noel.
The Cavaliers are going to shop this pick around, mostly because Dan Gilbert is putting pressure on the front office to make the playoffs — waiting a season or two for Noel to recover from ACL surgery and find his form doesn’t fit with that plan.
But the rule No. 1 in drafting for the NBA is take the best available player. (Most teams use a tier system, where they rank players by tiers and then by fit within those tiers.) If the Cavaliers think Noel is the best player, on a tier of his own, take him. If your biggest problem is having too many talented players at one position, there are good ways to deal with that.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65