May 31, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
Nerlens Noel, absent another prospect stepping up to usurp his place, has been widely considered the likely No. 1 pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. Otto Porter (positional fit), Ben McLemore (traditional skillset for his position) and Victor Oladipo (personality) have each garnered support in some corners to be selected by the Cavaliers, but it’s still Noel and then everyone else.
But Noel isn’t certain he’ll go No. 1, and here’s the proof. Andy Katz of ESPN:
UK’s Nerlens Noel will make his first visit to a team Sunday when he’s in Orlando (No. 2) pick. Cleveland (No. 1) not scheduled yet.
Agents typically limit their clients’ visits in an attempt to preserve a perception that the player belongs in a certain range, and Noel’s perceived range is No. 1 through No. 1 right now. Another concern is the risk of injury or fatigue from workouts, though that won’t apply to Noel, who’s still out with his ACL tear and won’t work out for teams. That makes visiting the Magic a pretty safe move.
Noel will certainly visit Cleveland at some point, and that’s still his most likely destination. But this Magic visit is about ensuring he doesn’t slip past No. 2
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14