May 31, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
Nerlens Noel, absent another prospect stepping up to usurp his place, has been widely considered the likely No. 1 pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. Otto Porter (positional fit), Ben McLemore (traditional skillset for his position) and Victor Oladipo (personality) have each garnered support in some corners to be selected by the Cavaliers, but it’s still Noel and then everyone else.
But Noel isn’t certain he’ll go No. 1, and here’s the proof. Andy Katz of ESPN:
UK’s Nerlens Noel will make his first visit to a team Sunday when he’s in Orlando (No. 2) pick. Cleveland (No. 1) not scheduled yet.
Agents typically limit their clients’ visits in an attempt to preserve a perception that the player belongs in a certain range, and Noel’s perceived range is No. 1 through No. 1 right now. Another concern is the risk of injury or fatigue from workouts, though that won’t apply to Noel, who’s still out with his ACL tear and won’t work out for teams. That makes visiting the Magic a pretty safe move.
Noel will certainly visit Cleveland at some point, and that’s still his most likely destination. But this Magic visit is about ensuring he doesn’t slip past No. 2
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29