May 31, 2013, 6:40 PM EST
UPDATE 6:40 pm: The Milwaukee Bucks have confirmed the hiring.
“We are pleased to reach an agreement with Larry Drew to become head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks,” said team GM John Hammond. “After a thorough search and interview process, it was clear to us that Larry’s track record in Atlanta, along with his experience as an assistant coach and player, make him the right choice to lead our club. We look forward to what he will bring to this franchise and we welcome him and his family to Milwaukee.”
5:55 pm: Kurt recently described the Atlanta Hawks’ identity under Larry Drew as “meh.”
The “meh” of teams has found the “meh” of coaches.
Larry Drew has agreed to terms with the Bucks, according to Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
In the last 12 years, the Bucks have made the playoffs five times but haven’t won a series. Their record has ranged from moderately bad (26-56) to moderately good (46-36). They have two seasons at exactly .500, a season one game over .500 and another season one game under .500.
Drew’s Hawks had a bland-but-OK offense and a pretty-good-but-not-great defense, making him a perfect fit with Milwaukee.
In all seriousness, Drew, who was forced out in Atlanta as Danny Ferry put his own mark on the Hawks, deserves to remain an NBA head coach. He took a team in transition and extended its playoff streak to six years, going 44-38, 40-26 and 44-38 in his three yeas at the helm.
Drew might be just another average or slightly above average head coach, but he’s shown enough signs of life that the Bucks can hope for a brighter future.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 34
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 29