May 31, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:40 pm: The Milwaukee Bucks have confirmed the hiring.
“We are pleased to reach an agreement with Larry Drew to become head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks,” said team GM John Hammond. “After a thorough search and interview process, it was clear to us that Larry’s track record in Atlanta, along with his experience as an assistant coach and player, make him the right choice to lead our club. We look forward to what he will bring to this franchise and we welcome him and his family to Milwaukee.”
5:55 pm: Kurt recently described the Atlanta Hawks’ identity under Larry Drew as “meh.”
The “meh” of teams has found the “meh” of coaches.
Larry Drew has agreed to terms with the Bucks, according to Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
In the last 12 years, the Bucks have made the playoffs five times but haven’t won a series. Their record has ranged from moderately bad (26-56) to moderately good (46-36). They have two seasons at exactly .500, a season one game over .500 and another season one game under .500.
Drew’s Hawks had a bland-but-OK offense and a pretty-good-but-not-great defense, making him a perfect fit with Milwaukee.
In all seriousness, Drew, who was forced out in Atlanta as Danny Ferry put his own mark on the Hawks, deserves to remain an NBA head coach. He took a team in transition and extended its playoff streak to six years, going 44-38, 40-26 and 44-38 in his three yeas at the helm.
Drew might be just another average or slightly above average head coach, but he’s shown enough signs of life that the Bucks can hope for a brighter future.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4