May 30, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Shaquille O’Neal is getting into the soda business… and it might not suck. There is a certain “Krusty the Clown “I heartily endorse this event or product” thing with Shaq, but he teamed up with the people from Arizona Iced Tea, and they make good stuff, so…. Still, seeing Shaq’s face in the grocery story isle is a little disturbing.
• The Milwaukee Bucks brass met with Larry Drew and Kelvin Sampson and are reportedly split on who to hire.
• Also, the Bucks are not going to go after Lionel Hollins, despite earlier reports.
• Steve Nash is in an odd and ugly court fight with his ex-wife. Remember he signed with the Lakers in part because he said he could be closer to his children who live in Phoenix. Now his ex-wife wants to move to California, officially to be closer to Nash. However, Nash is trying to block the move because he believes the real motive is once his ex-wife is a California resident she can apply to get more child support from him under California law.
• TMZ reports that Steve Nash will not retire. Only on TMZ is this actually news.
• What the Heat’s Big Three looked like when Tim Duncan won his first title.
• Here is a good argument for finding a good GM and paying him a lot of money to keep him happy. The Raptors are trying that with Masai Ujiri — five years, $15 million. But a good GM is worth more than that.
• Mike Woodson’s contract with the Knicks is apparently not guaranteed beyond the end of next season. That just means if the Knicks make a change it doesn’t hit their pocketbook as hard, it doesn’t change much else.
• Anderson Varejao appears well on the road to recovery from the blood clot in his lung and will be ready to go next season for the Cavaliers.
• Mike Budenholzer is excited about landing the Hawks job. That is a great hire.
• Steve Clifford is saying the same things about the Charlotte Bobcats coaching job he got. That is a longer road to being a respectable team.
• Thunder guard Reggie Jackson says he is going to spend his summer working on improving his three point shot.
• His agent said that Jerome Jordan will play in summer league for the Knicks.
•Finally, we want you to know DeAndre Jordan does not have a future as a lacrosse player.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32