May 30, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Shaquille O’Neal is getting into the soda business… and it might not suck. There is a certain “Krusty the Clown “I heartily endorse this event or product” thing with Shaq, but he teamed up with the people from Arizona Iced Tea, and they make good stuff, so…. Still, seeing Shaq’s face in the grocery story isle is a little disturbing.
• The Milwaukee Bucks brass met with Larry Drew and Kelvin Sampson and are reportedly split on who to hire.
• Also, the Bucks are not going to go after Lionel Hollins, despite earlier reports.
• Steve Nash is in an odd and ugly court fight with his ex-wife. Remember he signed with the Lakers in part because he said he could be closer to his children who live in Phoenix. Now his ex-wife wants to move to California, officially to be closer to Nash. However, Nash is trying to block the move because he believes the real motive is once his ex-wife is a California resident she can apply to get more child support from him under California law.
• TMZ reports that Steve Nash will not retire. Only on TMZ is this actually news.
• What the Heat’s Big Three looked like when Tim Duncan won his first title.
• Here is a good argument for finding a good GM and paying him a lot of money to keep him happy. The Raptors are trying that with Masai Ujiri — five years, $15 million. But a good GM is worth more than that.
• Mike Woodson’s contract with the Knicks is apparently not guaranteed beyond the end of next season. That just means if the Knicks make a change it doesn’t hit their pocketbook as hard, it doesn’t change much else.
• Anderson Varejao appears well on the road to recovery from the blood clot in his lung and will be ready to go next season for the Cavaliers.
• Mike Budenholzer is excited about landing the Hawks job. That is a great hire.
• Steve Clifford is saying the same things about the Charlotte Bobcats coaching job he got. That is a longer road to being a respectable team.
• Thunder guard Reggie Jackson says he is going to spend his summer working on improving his three point shot.
• His agent said that Jerome Jordan will play in summer league for the Knicks.
•Finally, we want you to know DeAndre Jordan does not have a future as a lacrosse player.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65