May 30, 2013, 3:16 AM EDT
The first reports were the Clippers were looking for a big name, veteran coach to put in the big chair — Nate McMillan, Lionel Hollins, Stan Van Gundy (a longer shot), maybe Alvin Gentry.
But the top assistants are getting a look, too. Brian Shaw of the Pacers was mentioned, and if you’re looking for a guy who has been around teams at the level the Clippers want to be at he has to be considered.
Then there is Mike Malone — the well-respected lead assistant of the Golden State Warriors who Chris Paul liked when he played in New Orleans and Malone was the lead assistant. And what Chris Paul wants… take it away Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Malone's representative has connected with Clippers and he is expected to interview with them soon. He was with Chris Paul in N. Orleans.—
Sam Amick (@sam_amick) May 29, 2013
The Clippers coaching search can be a little hard to predict because in the end Donald Sterling likes to meet with the candidates and make the final decision personally. Malone is in the mix, that’s all we can really say.
Well, that and expect the Clippers to take their time with this search.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16