May 30, 2013, 3:16 AM EDT
The first reports were the Clippers were looking for a big name, veteran coach to put in the big chair — Nate McMillan, Lionel Hollins, Stan Van Gundy (a longer shot), maybe Alvin Gentry.
But the top assistants are getting a look, too. Brian Shaw of the Pacers was mentioned, and if you’re looking for a guy who has been around teams at the level the Clippers want to be at he has to be considered.
Then there is Mike Malone — the well-respected lead assistant of the Golden State Warriors who Chris Paul liked when he played in New Orleans and Malone was the lead assistant. And what Chris Paul wants… take it away Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Malone's representative has connected with Clippers and he is expected to interview with them soon. He was with Chris Paul in N. Orleans.—
Sam Amick (@sam_amick) May 29, 2013
The Clippers coaching search can be a little hard to predict because in the end Donald Sterling likes to meet with the candidates and make the final decision personally. Malone is in the mix, that’s all we can really say.
Well, that and expect the Clippers to take their time with this search.
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 0
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 3
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 44
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25