May 30, 2013, 3:16 AM EDT
The first reports were the Clippers were looking for a big name, veteran coach to put in the big chair — Nate McMillan, Lionel Hollins, Stan Van Gundy (a longer shot), maybe Alvin Gentry.
But the top assistants are getting a look, too. Brian Shaw of the Pacers was mentioned, and if you’re looking for a guy who has been around teams at the level the Clippers want to be at he has to be considered.
Then there is Mike Malone — the well-respected lead assistant of the Golden State Warriors who Chris Paul liked when he played in New Orleans and Malone was the lead assistant. And what Chris Paul wants… take it away Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Malone's representative has connected with Clippers and he is expected to interview with them soon. He was with Chris Paul in N. Orleans.—
Sam Amick (@sam_amick) May 29, 2013
The Clippers coaching search can be a little hard to predict because in the end Donald Sterling likes to meet with the candidates and make the final decision personally. Malone is in the mix, that’s all we can really say.
Well, that and expect the Clippers to take their time with this search.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43