May 30, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
You know when you first buy a new toy — an iPad, a new flat screen television, a new drill — you just have to play with it. You spend an inordinate amount of time with it, getting used to it and setting it up like you want.
That is Vivek Ranadive and the Sacramento Kings.
Ranadive just had his purchase of the Kings approved and he is moving fast to change the basketball side of the operations around, reports Sam Amick at the USA Today. Which is smart because after the Maloofs were done with it there was a whole lot of cleaning up to do on that side.
According to two people with knowledge of the talks, the owner who formally took control of the team on Tuesday has already interviewed Golden State Warriors assistant general manager Travis Schlenk and Memphis general manager Chris Wallace for the Kings’ general manager position….
Even though no formal announcement has been made about current coach Keith Smart, two people with knowledge of the situation said Ranadive is targeting Golden State assistant Michael Malone above all others and indicated that – if Malone agrees to come – his hiring could very well precede the hiring of a general manager.
It’s Ranadive’s toy, but he may want to slow down a little bit. You can hire a coach before a GM and it can work, but it tends not to. Also, while Malone is a qualified candidate no doubt, so would be a host of other guys such as Brian Shaw or Kelvin Sampson. You don’t think Shaw and his handful of rings as a player and a coach could get your guys attention?
Still, after the last few years of what passed for the Maloof ownership and Geoff Petrie steering the ship, it’s good to see someone taking charge and plotting a new direction. The Sacramento fans deserve that.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7