David West, Roy Hibbert accuse Shane Battier of taking shots at their knees

May 30, 2013, 2:27 PM EST

Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Game Four Getty Images

Shane Battier hasn’t been able to be very effective for the Heat during the Eastern Conference finals, which may be the reason he’s had to resort to a more physical style of play against the big men of the Pacers.

Battier has been in the middle of a few minor confrontations in the series, and the Pacers players — specifically David West and Roy Hibbert, the bigs that are giving Miami so many problems — said after shootaround on Thursday in advance of Game 5 that part of their preparation is to be aware of Battier taking shots at their knees.

From Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com:

“I (learned) to always have my guard up and protect my knees,” West said. “(Battier) has got this funny way of moving into your knees. We’re very conscious of that. We talk about making sure we protect our knees.”

“I know what (Battier) brings to the game and it’s worked for him in the past. He has to do whatever he has to do to make sure his team wins,” Hibbert said. “I’m going to watch my knees, watch my groin. … To tell you the truth, I don’t care. I’m in there, I’m playing tough. He has to do what he has to do.

“Obviously I don’t like it but it’s a part of the game. I don’t want to look back say I gave in to a dirty player.”

Battier has a reputation of being an above average defender, though he’s not nearly as strong defensively as he’s been given credit for, especially during his days with the Houston Rockets.

But despite the fact that he’s lost a step in this advanced stage of his career, Battier is still one of the smarter defenders in the game, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to learn that he’s resorting to some alternative tactics to try to battle the size disadvantage that he and his team face during this series.

Battier has already been guilty of one objectively dirty play, leading with his knee on a drive to the basket where he caught Hibbert in the groin during Game 1. The referees actually reviewed the play to determine if it should have been called a flagrant foul, which is beyond rare for a play made by the offense.

The officiating has become a topic in this series, and the Pacers knew what they were doing by putting this out there the day of a critical Game 5 on the road. The referees now will be watching for these tactics from Battier, whether subconsciously or not, and may whistle him a bit more closely than they have through the first four games of the series.

It’s worth noting that Battier’s inability to impact the game defensively is of far less concern than is his shooting. During the Heat’s run to a championship last year, Battier shot an extremely high percentage, and was huge in knocking down several big time shots. So far against Indiana, Battier is a combined 2-of-14 from the field, with all but one of his attempts coming from three-point distance.

1. Sinan - May 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM

These guys have to be the biggest whiners that I have heard in a while…they cry about everything to the Media. Just shut up and play the game. It’s like they are saying: “I am sure we can win, but if we don’t its because of this and this and that”….Yes you both flop and you both don’t get the calls you want and at the end of the day it evens out….just play the game

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

These Miami fans have to be the biggest whiners that I have heard in a while. They cry about everything to the media and are endlessly in the referee’s ears.

Fixed that for you!

• LilTmac2003 - May 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It’s funny you just “just play the game.”

That’s exactly what the Pacers are doing! LeBron just said the other day that flopping is totally okay. D-Wade, honest to God, I think has fallen down after EVERY single damn shot he’s taken. I mean it’s simply ridiculous now when he gets the ball.

I’ve liked Shane Battier since early with the Grizzlies and Rockets. Thought it was a good pick up from Miami. But he’s not the same player he once was.

He’s dirty. Absolutely dirty. Video shows it. Heat were playing the Bulls one game, and Asik was running up the court, eye towards the ball, and Battier went into Asik’s blind spot and took a charge while tripping up Asik as well.

Not only is that dangerous, but that’s not “playing the game.”

I want to see a series of Pacers vs. Heat w/ no refs. Just play some damn ball. Truly see who is the better team.

2. angulocarlos1 - May 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Pacer thugs complaining how cute

3. livingsacrifice86 - May 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM

SHUT. UP.

4. thenmoveback - May 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

David West complaining? Surprised! This guy has been throwing elbows to faces left and right, just shut up and play ball!

5. aboogy123456 - May 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I hate what Battier’s defense is to him being a dirty player: “I’m 34 and not as strong as the guys i’m guarding, so I HAVE to do these things”. If you have to resort to being a dirty player, then your playing days should be over and you should be done with. Get off the court Shane.

• mrwrightsdad - May 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM

He has been filthy dirty since he has been with the Heat, don’t remember him being that bad with Rockets or Grizzlies. Maybe I was just trying to ignore him though.

6. cantonbound13 - May 30, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Dirty pansies, you’re Miami Heaaaat!!!

• 4thquartermagic - May 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM

“Hey, the Heat aren’t pansies… (remembers Dwayne Wade wearing capri’s to the arena) … my mistake, you are correct sir.”

• azarkhan - May 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM

LOL! But I think the man who is sleeping with Gabrielle Union can wear whatever he wants.

• 4thquartermagic - May 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Touché

7. maynardstool - May 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Speaking of whiners. Has a Heat player EVER committed a foul? Every time they’re whistled for one they piss and moan. Wade and Lebron bitch more than anyone in the league.

8. colts419 - May 30, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Bandwagon heat fans got a shock coming. #pacersworld #hibbert>lebron

• jt1138 - May 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Never go full retard.

9. lastdukestreetking - May 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM

No one holds a candle to Dwyame “Wendy Whiner” Wade.

10. kinggw - May 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Do these two ever shut up? The officials have been letting both of these guys operate with impunity and they have the nerve to complain.

Hopefully they will finally call a tight game against the Pacers frontcourt and they will really have something to complain about.

11. wordyduke - May 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM

He’s a Duke man, for pity’s sake.

12. deeballer - May 30, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Way to reward the refs by whining to them to the press even though they get most of the calls.

13. cwilson6843 - May 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

You guys are fools. Jus something to laugh at. How can you scold the heat for “whining” over a foul called, but then you’re blind to the fact that the pacers do too if not worst. The only pacer I respect is Paul George

• badintent - May 31, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I like the mascot Peyton Manning

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches