May 30, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
It seemed Byron Scott was on a coaching slide – falling from the Nets (a conference-winning team) to the Hornets (a playoff-series-winning team) to the Cavaliers (a non-winning team).
But maybe he’s just on a coaching roller coaster, which would mean Scott is on the rise after bottoming out. Chris Broussard of ESPN:
Clippers general manager Gary Sachs reached out to Scott via telephone this week, asking if he has interest in coaching the team. Scott, who was recently fired by the Cleveland Cavaliers, has interest in the job, a source close to the situation said.
The talks were preliminary, no offer was made, and no official interview has been set up yet. A source said the Clippers’ front office is currently putting together a list of candidates that it will take to owner Donald Sterling.
It seems that list would include Brian Shaw and Jeff Van Gundy, both of whom the Orange County Register says are being “strongly considered.”
Chris Paul is apparently running the Clippers, so he’ll have a big say – perhaps, the ultimate say – in whether Los Angeles hires Scott, Shaw, Van Gundy or anyone else. Paul played for Scott in New Orleans, and the star point guard voiced his displeasure with the Hornets’ decision to fire Scott. Scott didn’t exactly prove in Cleveland that New Orleans got rid of a coaching genius, but if Paul wants him, that could be enough to get the Clippers job.
For Scott, going from a 24-win team to a 56-win team after getting fired would make him the envy of his coaching peers.
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19