May 30, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
It seemed Byron Scott was on a coaching slide – falling from the Nets (a conference-winning team) to the Hornets (a playoff-series-winning team) to the Cavaliers (a non-winning team).
But maybe he’s just on a coaching roller coaster, which would mean Scott is on the rise after bottoming out. Chris Broussard of ESPN:
Clippers general manager Gary Sachs reached out to Scott via telephone this week, asking if he has interest in coaching the team. Scott, who was recently fired by the Cleveland Cavaliers, has interest in the job, a source close to the situation said.
The talks were preliminary, no offer was made, and no official interview has been set up yet. A source said the Clippers’ front office is currently putting together a list of candidates that it will take to owner Donald Sterling.
It seems that list would include Brian Shaw and Jeff Van Gundy, both of whom the Orange County Register says are being “strongly considered.”
Chris Paul is apparently running the Clippers, so he’ll have a big say – perhaps, the ultimate say – in whether Los Angeles hires Scott, Shaw, Van Gundy or anyone else. Paul played for Scott in New Orleans, and the star point guard voiced his displeasure with the Hornets’ decision to fire Scott. Scott didn’t exactly prove in Cleveland that New Orleans got rid of a coaching genius, but if Paul wants him, that could be enough to get the Clippers job.
For Scott, going from a 24-win team to a 56-win team after getting fired would make him the envy of his coaching peers.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 12
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 23
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 11
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 13
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26