May 30, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
It seemed Byron Scott was on a coaching slide – falling from the Nets (a conference-winning team) to the Hornets (a playoff-series-winning team) to the Cavaliers (a non-winning team).
But maybe he’s just on a coaching roller coaster, which would mean Scott is on the rise after bottoming out. Chris Broussard of ESPN:
Clippers general manager Gary Sachs reached out to Scott via telephone this week, asking if he has interest in coaching the team. Scott, who was recently fired by the Cleveland Cavaliers, has interest in the job, a source close to the situation said.
The talks were preliminary, no offer was made, and no official interview has been set up yet. A source said the Clippers’ front office is currently putting together a list of candidates that it will take to owner Donald Sterling.
It seems that list would include Brian Shaw and Jeff Van Gundy, both of whom the Orange County Register says are being “strongly considered.”
Chris Paul is apparently running the Clippers, so he’ll have a big say – perhaps, the ultimate say – in whether Los Angeles hires Scott, Shaw, Van Gundy or anyone else. Paul played for Scott in New Orleans, and the star point guard voiced his displeasure with the Hornets’ decision to fire Scott. Scott didn’t exactly prove in Cleveland that New Orleans got rid of a coaching genius, but if Paul wants him, that could be enough to get the Clippers job.
For Scott, going from a 24-win team to a 56-win team after getting fired would make him the envy of his coaching peers.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 15
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32