May 30, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
The animosity came to a head early in the second quarter of Game 5 between the Heat and Pacers when Andersen and Hansbrough were hit with a double technical, and Andersen got a flagrant 1.
Andersen was lucky he wasn’t ejected. He initiated the conflict by dropping his shoulder and knocking Hansbrough to the ground. Then, Andersen lingered rather than running up court – Hansbrough had the excuse of being sprawled out on the court – and approached Hansbrough again. Andersen got chest-to-chest with Hansbrough and shoved him before the two were separated.
Maybe Andersen was trying to give the Heat a spark, considering Miami had trailed most of the game, rather than just losing his cool against a player who gets under many opponents’ nerves. But if that were Andersen’s goal, it didn’t work. Immediately after the altercation, Indiana went on a 5-0 run, including a Hansbrough free throw as a result of the flagrant.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61