May 30, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
The animosity came to a head early in the second quarter of Game 5 between the Heat and Pacers when Andersen and Hansbrough were hit with a double technical, and Andersen got a flagrant 1.
Andersen was lucky he wasn’t ejected. He initiated the conflict by dropping his shoulder and knocking Hansbrough to the ground. Then, Andersen lingered rather than running up court – Hansbrough had the excuse of being sprawled out on the court – and approached Hansbrough again. Andersen got chest-to-chest with Hansbrough and shoved him before the two were separated.
Maybe Andersen was trying to give the Heat a spark, considering Miami had trailed most of the game, rather than just losing his cool against a player who gets under many opponents’ nerves. But if that were Andersen’s goal, it didn’t work. Immediately after the altercation, Indiana went on a 5-0 run, including a Hansbrough free throw as a result of the flagrant.
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 8
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 10