May 29, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
The Pistons are searching high and wide for new coach. They’d already interviewed more than six candidates – Nate McMillan, Maurice Cheeks, Mike Budenholzer (since hired by the Hawks), Lindsey Hunter, J.B. Bickerstaff and Darrell Walker – plus, Joe Dumars said he’s interviewed more than just ex-players and candidates reported elsewhere.
Add one more interview to the list. Chris Haynes of of CSN Northwest:
Chicago Bulls assistant coach Adrian Griffin has precipitously garnered interest from the Detroit Pistons and now he’s the latest prospect to have interviewed for their vacant head coaching position, a league source conveyed to CSNNW.com.
According to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the coaching search, Griffin partook in an extensive phone interview with Pistons’ President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars over the weekend.
Griffin, who played nine years before working under Scott Skiles and Tom Thibodeau as an assistant, is not the non-player Dumars alluded to. Griffin is also not even the Bulls’ lead assistant, though he interviewed with the Trail Blazers last year.
Are the Pistons puttering around waiting to interview Brian Shaw or David Fizdale? No, says The Detroit News’ Vincent Goodwill, who reported the Pistons are done bringing in new candidates.
McMillan and Cheeks are believed to be the top choices, but the Pistons are wisely covering all their bases (or foolishly allowing another team time to swoop in and hire McMillan).
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 23
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 55
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 18
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 33
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3