May 29, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
The Pistons are searching high and wide for new coach. They’d already interviewed more than six candidates – Nate McMillan, Maurice Cheeks, Mike Budenholzer (since hired by the Hawks), Lindsey Hunter, J.B. Bickerstaff and Darrell Walker – plus, Joe Dumars said he’s interviewed more than just ex-players and candidates reported elsewhere.
Add one more interview to the list. Chris Haynes of of CSN Northwest:
Chicago Bulls assistant coach Adrian Griffin has precipitously garnered interest from the Detroit Pistons and now he’s the latest prospect to have interviewed for their vacant head coaching position, a league source conveyed to CSNNW.com.
According to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the coaching search, Griffin partook in an extensive phone interview with Pistons’ President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars over the weekend.
Griffin, who played nine years before working under Scott Skiles and Tom Thibodeau as an assistant, is not the non-player Dumars alluded to. Griffin is also not even the Bulls’ lead assistant, though he interviewed with the Trail Blazers last year.
Are the Pistons puttering around waiting to interview Brian Shaw or David Fizdale? No, says The Detroit News’ Vincent Goodwill, who reported the Pistons are done bringing in new candidates.
McMillan and Cheeks are believed to be the top choices, but the Pistons are wisely covering all their bases (or foolishly allowing another team time to swoop in and hire McMillan).
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. But he liked what LeBron did. 11
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29