May 29, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Somewhere around the second week of July, when Chris Paul signs his new max deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, you are going to hear a lot of Eric Bledsoe trade buzz. There is a lot of interest around the league in the Clippers’ backup point guard — with good reason — but they are not going to move him until the ink is dry on a new contract for CP3. He is the insurance policy.
Among the team’s interested, the Orlando Magic. That according to Chad Ford at ESPN (behind their pay wall, be warned).
Sources say the Magic have a lot of interest in Clippers point guard Eric Bledsoe and would be willing to trade Afflalo for Bledsoe and Caron Butler‘s expiring contract. Would the Clippers bite? Afflalo would give them an established veteran and a big upgrade at shooting guard to pair in the backcourt with Chris Paul.
It’s no secret the Magic are thinking new, young point guard so their side of this makes sense.
For the Clippers that’s a tempting offer — Afflalo is only 28 next season, is a good wing defender, scored 16 points a game, and historically can shoot the three but struggled some last year (because he was more the focal point of the offense, in Los Angeles he likely returns to form).
But the Clippers are going to have a lot of offers. A lot. For a good young point like Bledsoe they are going to get something of real quality back.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19