May 29, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Somewhere around the second week of July, when Chris Paul signs his new max deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, you are going to hear a lot of Eric Bledsoe trade buzz. There is a lot of interest around the league in the Clippers’ backup point guard — with good reason — but they are not going to move him until the ink is dry on a new contract for CP3. He is the insurance policy.
Among the team’s interested, the Orlando Magic. That according to Chad Ford at ESPN (behind their pay wall, be warned).
Sources say the Magic have a lot of interest in Clippers point guard Eric Bledsoe and would be willing to trade Afflalo for Bledsoe and Caron Butler‘s expiring contract. Would the Clippers bite? Afflalo would give them an established veteran and a big upgrade at shooting guard to pair in the backcourt with Chris Paul.
It’s no secret the Magic are thinking new, young point guard so their side of this makes sense.
For the Clippers that’s a tempting offer — Afflalo is only 28 next season, is a good wing defender, scored 16 points a game, and historically can shoot the three but struggled some last year (because he was more the focal point of the offense, in Los Angeles he likely returns to form).
But the Clippers are going to have a lot of offers. A lot. For a good young point like Bledsoe they are going to get something of real quality back.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 10
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0