Report: Magic interested in Eric Bledsoe. That’s a long line.

May 29, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jerryd Bayless AP

Somewhere around the second week of July, when Chris Paul signs his new max deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, you are going to hear a lot of Eric Bledsoe trade buzz. There is a lot of interest around the league in the Clippers’ backup point guard — with good reason — but they are not going to move him until the ink is dry on a new contract for CP3. He is the insurance policy.

Among the team’s interested, the Orlando Magic. That according to Chad Ford at ESPN (behind their pay wall, be warned).

Sources say the Magic have a lot of interest in Clippers point guard Eric Bledsoe and would be willing to trade Afflalo for Bledsoe and Caron Butler‘s expiring contract. Would the Clippers bite? Afflalo would give them an established veteran and a big upgrade at shooting guard to pair in the backcourt with Chris Paul.

It’s no secret the Magic are thinking new, young point guard so their side of this makes sense.

For the Clippers that’s a tempting offer — Afflalo is only 28 next season, is a good wing defender, scored 16 points a game, and historically can shoot the three but struggled some last year (because he was more the focal point of the offense, in Los Angeles he likely returns to form).

But the Clippers are going to have a lot of offers. A lot. For a good young point like Bledsoe they are going to get something of real quality back.

1. saint1997 - May 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I would love this move! Draft McLemore and trade for Bledsoe an you’ve got a starting 5 that has some serious underrated talent in it

• anhdazman - May 30, 2013 at 2:55 AM

The Magic is going to have to give up more than just Affalo to get Bledsoe.

• saint1997 - May 30, 2013 at 6:38 AM

look I get what you are saying in that Bledsoe is a better talent that Aaron but for what Afflalo would give the Clips, he is more useful than what Eric is giving the Clips.

2. bigmeechy74 - May 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM

If they think Bledsoe is a future superstar then the Clippers should pattern their trade of bledsoe after the genius sam presti. They should trade him for something equal to jeremy lamb, kevin martin, and the 12th pick in the draft. Now thats a haul!

• patfic15 - May 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Presti is no genius.

• 00maltliquor - May 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM

C’mooon! He made one bad move. ONE. (Okay, okay…two. That Perkins contract is outright offensive! lol)

• unxpexted1 - May 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Malt: there was nothing “offensive” about getting Perkins

3. moseskkim - May 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Bledsoe is way more valuable than afflalo. I like afflalo and he is an upgrade at sg but clipps need elite front court depth or more importantly a better sf/sg that can create his own shot. Bledsoes talent is tantalizing so a team could surely bite. A Rudy gay type player would be great for this team. I love cp3s game but clipps can’t win if he isos in crunch time 100%. Orlando probably won’t do it but I’d like Tobias Harris instead. Dude looks like a straight stud

• Kurt Helin - May 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Getting a team to trade big for small, even a good small like Bledsoe, is very hard. You don’t get an elite front court player for Bledsoe.

• saint1997 - May 30, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I think that is very true. What Hennigan did with this D12 trade should have won him executive of the year. People were quick to make disparaging comments post trade and now he has an established front court (something that is incredibly difficult to develop). Perhaps they could add in Big Baby or Andrew Nicholson with Afflalo if the Clips insisted but I agree the Magic should not give up their future stars in Harris, Harkless and Vucevic. That’s not to say they shouldn’t go for Bledsoe though! Talk about perfect fits!

(I will say this was one website that did not jump to such conclusions. Though you said that their mistake was not pulling a deal at the deadline; you kept a level headed and rational outlook to the scenario including saying in reference to the Magic rebuild “That’s not sexy and easy to sell, but it’s the smart thing to do.”)

• Kurt Helin - May 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Thanks.

• thenew013 - May 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM

so is that why folks say Davis and Drummond will be more valuable than Lillard in the long run because they are bigger? I can kind of get that.

• money2long - May 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM

they have crawford as a guy who can create his own shot at the 2. as for a starting 2 guard, afflalo works for LAC because chris paul will do the creating and setting up for him as afflalo can knock down the 3 ball and plays defense, which is important for that starting lineup.

• 00maltliquor - May 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM

@ ontheMoney toolong

I don’t like the trade of Bledsoe for Afflalo as the main piece going back, they can do much better talent wise…buuuuuut……no lie, I think Afflalo would fit in wonderfully with the team that’s already in place. I think it would make all the difference, and for some of the very reasons you stated.

He could play the 2, and slide sometimes to the 3. Doesn’t command major minutes (which is good when you have J-Crossover in the fold), and isn’t a star player (which is good because they don’t need another, so he balances them out well). Add on top of him playing the ultimate 3 and D role, and you got something real nice. Well, you convinced me….I guess I DO like it, LOL!

• money2long - May 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM

haha. i hear you. maybe if the clippers got a draft pick as well to sweeten the deal.

• raidmagic - May 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Not a chance Orlando move Harris in this deal. No way.

4. magic407 - May 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Trust In Henningan!!!

#GoMagic
    #407
    #Otown

5. stayhigh_247 - May 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Trust in Heineken!!!

6. idywild - May 29, 2013 at 8:25 PM

The deal sounds good for both sides. I can’t see a better offer for the Clips.

• idywild - May 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM

why the thumbs down? exactly what do some folks thing Bledsoe is worth? I personally think he is a great spark off the bench who has some freakish athleticism and a pesty defender, but he is getting way overrated. If some team gives more than this deal, they overpaid.

7. sportsnut101 - May 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Wow the wanna trade afflalo. Already. Wasn’t he the key of the Dwight Howard deal. They coulda got Monta Ellis instead or had brook lopez. Kris humphries brooks n 3 picks in first round magic are idiots

8. themagicfanguy - May 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM

As a Magic fan I’d really love this trade. Works for both teams. A starting backcourt of Bledsoe and McLemore/Oladipo sounds good to me!
    Maybe we can further modify the deal to take Big Baby off of our hands?

9. 00maltliquor - May 30, 2013 at 1:54 AM

That would be a good look. I bet they could get him for their lottery pick (I think it’s the 3rd, if I’m not mistaken).

They should do it too. I don’t think there is anyone in the draft better then Bledsoe. I feel this would work well for both teams involved. It seems like a high price, but really this draft is hot garbage. If they want him bad enough, I bet you they get him.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches