May 29, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
As we’ve told you before, the Bucks have an interesting postseason ahead of them because their entire backcourt are free agents — Monta Ellis and J.J. Redick are unrestricted free agents (Ellis has to opt out but is widely expected to), Brandon Jennings is restricted (meaning the Bucks can match any offer).
Because they can match, and because he is younger, the original conventional wisdom was the Bucks would keep Jennings by matching any offer and let the other two go.
But that may be changing, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
There is some logic to that if they are willing to spend and keep Redick, too. Ellis and Redick were +6.2 points per 100 possessions when paired this season; Jennings and Redick were -10.5. (For fun, Ellis and Jennings were -2.7 but were by far the most heavily used combo.)
Ellis and Redick played well together, although there are some serious defensive questions about that backcourt pairing over the long haul.
Again, this may come down to both money and whom they can get. Ellis and Redick are unrestricted and can take any offer they want — and there are reports Redick wants out. Jennings the Bucks can match if they want.
Would you really want Ellis over Jennings for the long-term? Maybe that’s a question they should ask their new coach when they hire one, since he’s the guy that has to try and set up a system to make this backcourt work.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 6
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 13
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43