May 29, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
When you talk about the greatest NBA of the 1960s, Elgin Baylor is near the top of the list because he was starting to change the game. In the 1960s, when Bill Russell’s Celtics were dominating, Baylor was playing above the rim for the Lakers. He paved the way for Dr. J and the generations that followed. He is one of the game’s all-time greats.
And he is selling all his basketball memorabilia — 358 pieces in all. Everything has to go.
The people of Julien’s Live of Beverly Hills are doing the auction, everything from the championship ring of the 1971-72 Lakers (he only played 9 games that season) to an autographed shirt from his high school. There is his ring from the 1958 Final Four (he led Seattle University there), the 1959 All-Star game co-MVP trophy, and much, much more.
All of it goes on sale Friday starting at 10 a.m. Pacific (1 p.m. Eastern) at the link above.
If you’re thinking Baylor, who was the long-time GM of the Clippers after his playing days, is doing this for money, he told Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times that is not the case. He just wants to get rid of the stuff.
“You’re thinking there’s something financial going on here, but it’s not true,” he said. “I have no financial problems at all. None of that. Seriously…
”I’ve had so much enjoyment with these things over the years. Now it’s time to let someone else enjoy them,” Baylor said.
He also said he is in good health, that’s not the reason either.
Whatever the motivation, it’s an amazing collection and even if you’re not shopping you need to just go flip through the items. It is a treasure trove of basketball history.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 9
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 4
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 6
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 11