May 29, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
When you talk about the greatest NBA of the 1960s, Elgin Baylor is near the top of the list because he was starting to change the game. In the 1960s, when Bill Russell’s Celtics were dominating, Baylor was playing above the rim for the Lakers. He paved the way for Dr. J and the generations that followed. He is one of the game’s all-time greats.
And he is selling all his basketball memorabilia — 358 pieces in all. Everything has to go.
The people of Julien’s Live of Beverly Hills are doing the auction, everything from the championship ring of the 1971-72 Lakers (he only played 9 games that season) to an autographed shirt from his high school. There is his ring from the 1958 Final Four (he led Seattle University there), the 1959 All-Star game co-MVP trophy, and much, much more.
All of it goes on sale Friday starting at 10 a.m. Pacific (1 p.m. Eastern) at the link above.
If you’re thinking Baylor, who was the long-time GM of the Clippers after his playing days, is doing this for money, he told Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times that is not the case. He just wants to get rid of the stuff.
“You’re thinking there’s something financial going on here, but it’s not true,” he said. “I have no financial problems at all. None of that. Seriously…
”I’ve had so much enjoyment with these things over the years. Now it’s time to let someone else enjoy them,” Baylor said.
He also said he is in good health, that’s not the reason either.
Whatever the motivation, it’s an amazing collection and even if you’re not shopping you need to just go flip through the items. It is a treasure trove of basketball history.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 4
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1