May 28, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like your grandmother loves CSI: Miami reruns…
• San Antonio’s Patty Mills tells the story of when he got to lift weights with Paul McCartney. The Spurs were staying in the same hotel as the Knighted former Beatle. “They knew we just wanted to get a lift after our practice, so they let us in,” Mills said. “We walked in, and there he was, Paul McCartney. Before we could say hi or anything he said, ‘Go Spurs go.’ It was one of those rare moments when I didn’t know what to say. A special moment, and now I can tell everyone I lifted weights with Paul McCartney.” (Hat tip to KD at Ball Don’t Lie.)
• Speaking of the Spurs, some guy started a controversy around Tony Parker not getting into a restaurant, which annoyed Parker because he was never actually at the restaurant. Nice gimmick to drum up business, though.
• ESPN’s draft expert Chad Ford reports that there are some teams whose doctors think Nerlens Noel could miss the entire next season recovering from ACL surgery. Would the Cavaliers really care that much? He still probably goes No. 1.
• Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk’s 6’9 3/4″ wingspan measured at the combine was shorter than swingmen Otto Porter and Shabazz Muhammed.
• Here is a great post about the flaws of trying to make player comparisons when talking about draft picks.
• The Wizards say they are going to focus on character and attitude with their draft picks. Of course every team says that. What really wins in the league is talent, they should just take the best player.
• San Antonio’s Tiago Splitter with a great explanation of why he is laughing at the rumors he could leave the Spurs to play for Real Madrid: Every four years the major clubs have presidential elections, when they do there are wild promises that have no chance of coming true. Wow. Thank God we would never have anything like that in this country.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37