May 28, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
In the fourth quarter of the Grizzlies’ Game 4 loss to the Spurs, Memphis coach Lionel Hollins pushed Jerryd Bayless near the Grizzlies bench (hat tip: Ben Golliver of Point Forward). It seems Bayless was sitting himself down anyway as Hollins pushed him, making the appearance that Hollins pushed Bayless down into a seat potentially misleading.
This was obviously a frustrating situation, Memphis just four minutes from its season ending, but that’s no excuse for Hollins to put his hands on Bayless like this. Of course, there are potential extenuating details unknown to us. We don’t see the inner workings of how Hollins and Bayless typically interact and whether behavior is out of the norm for them.
Besides, if the coach and player have a strong relationship based on mutual understanding, perhaps Bayless can forgive Hollins more easily if this crossed a line.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 3
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44