May 28, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
But clearly flopping is an issue with the NBA suits because it is an image thing, which is why they not only started not only fining players for flopping but also making sure that fine (just $5,000 for the first instance) is public. Tony Allen got fined on a play where the call was a legitimate flagrant foul but he oversold the non-existent head injury anyway — the league wants to do away with this issue.
LeBron, he doesn’t see what the big deal is. It’s all about just trying to gain an advantage, he told Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
“It’s year one (of the fine protocol), so you’re not just going to go cold turkey,” James said. “Guys have been accustomed to doing it for years, and it’s not even a bad thing. You’re just trying to get the advantage. Any way you can get the advantage over an opponent to help your team win, then so be it.”
That will lead to some more LeBron bashing. But he is clearly not alone
While a lot of players give lip service to the idea of being against flopping, the evidence we see with our eyes on the court suggests LeBron’s is the prevailing opinion in the league.
Guys are flopping to try and get calls — and it’s working. Not all the time, but it’s working. And that’s why you will keep seeing more of it — elite players are not going to balk at embellishing to get a call if it can mean maybe influencing the referees at a key moment in a game. Allen may not have needed to embellish his fall to get a key flagrant call against the Spurs, but his acting didn’t hurt his cause. Just his pocketbook, and not really that much there.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 24
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)