May 28, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
But clearly flopping is an issue with the NBA suits because it is an image thing, which is why they not only started not only fining players for flopping but also making sure that fine (just $5,000 for the first instance) is public. Tony Allen got fined on a play where the call was a legitimate flagrant foul but he oversold the non-existent head injury anyway — the league wants to do away with this issue.
LeBron, he doesn’t see what the big deal is. It’s all about just trying to gain an advantage, he told Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
“It’s year one (of the fine protocol), so you’re not just going to go cold turkey,” James said. “Guys have been accustomed to doing it for years, and it’s not even a bad thing. You’re just trying to get the advantage. Any way you can get the advantage over an opponent to help your team win, then so be it.”
That will lead to some more LeBron bashing. But he is clearly not alone
While a lot of players give lip service to the idea of being against flopping, the evidence we see with our eyes on the court suggests LeBron’s is the prevailing opinion in the league.
Guys are flopping to try and get calls — and it’s working. Not all the time, but it’s working. And that’s why you will keep seeing more of it — elite players are not going to balk at embellishing to get a call if it can mean maybe influencing the referees at a key moment in a game. Allen may not have needed to embellish his fall to get a key flagrant call against the Spurs, but his acting didn’t hurt his cause. Just his pocketbook, and not really that much there.
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 7
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 10
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18