May 28, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Apparently, since it was just her first game, word didn’t get out yet around the WNBA not to help off Brittney Griner.
The biggest name to hit the WNBA in years didn’t disappoint in her first game — she became the first WNBA player ever to dunk twice in one game (she is only third player in the league ever to dunk). Griner had 17 points and 3 rebounds in her debut.
Her Phoenix Mercury got routed by No. 2 overall pick Elena Delle Donne and her Chicago Sky 102-80, and both Griner’s dunks came in garbage time. Griner is great for marketing in the league, but building a winning team with and around her is a much bigger project.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 1
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30