May 28, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
Apparently, since it was just her first game, word didn’t get out yet around the WNBA not to help off Brittney Griner.
The biggest name to hit the WNBA in years didn’t disappoint in her first game — she became the first WNBA player ever to dunk twice in one game (she is only third player in the league ever to dunk). Griner had 17 points and 3 rebounds in her debut.
Her Phoenix Mercury got routed by No. 2 overall pick Elena Delle Donne and her Chicago Sky 102-80, and both Griner’s dunks came in garbage time. Griner is great for marketing in the league, but building a winning team with and around her is a much bigger project.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10