May 28, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Apparently, since it was just her first game, word didn’t get out yet around the WNBA not to help off Brittney Griner.
The biggest name to hit the WNBA in years didn’t disappoint in her first game — she became the first WNBA player ever to dunk twice in one game (she is only third player in the league ever to dunk). Griner had 17 points and 3 rebounds in her debut.
Her Phoenix Mercury got routed by No. 2 overall pick Elena Delle Donne and her Chicago Sky 102-80, and both Griner’s dunks came in garbage time. Griner is great for marketing in the league, but building a winning team with and around her is a much bigger project.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 7
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 7
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 19
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64