May 28, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
Apparently, since it was just her first game, word didn’t get out yet around the WNBA not to help off Brittney Griner.
The biggest name to hit the WNBA in years didn’t disappoint in her first game — she became the first WNBA player ever to dunk twice in one game (she is only third player in the league ever to dunk). Griner had 17 points and 3 rebounds in her debut.
Her Phoenix Mercury got routed by No. 2 overall pick Elena Delle Donne and her Chicago Sky 102-80, and both Griner’s dunks came in garbage time. Griner is great for marketing in the league, but building a winning team with and around her is a much bigger project.
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 1
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)