May 28, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Apparently, since it was just her first game, word didn’t get out yet around the WNBA not to help off Brittney Griner.
The biggest name to hit the WNBA in years didn’t disappoint in her first game — she became the first WNBA player ever to dunk twice in one game (she is only third player in the league ever to dunk). Griner had 17 points and 3 rebounds in her debut.
Her Phoenix Mercury got routed by No. 2 overall pick Elena Delle Donne and her Chicago Sky 102-80, and both Griner’s dunks came in garbage time. Griner is great for marketing in the league, but building a winning team with and around her is a much bigger project.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 22
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 71
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 53
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4