Birdman scoring from the ‘bird box’

May 28, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT

Miami Heat fans

Chris Andersen hasn’t missed a shot in more than two weeks. He’s 13-for-13 in the Eastern Conference Finals and 31-for-37 in the playoffs. And now, Birdman has a nickname to describe the area where his scoring is generated.

Joseph Goodman of the Miami Herald:

While describing his role on the team and deflecting praise for his current run of offensive perfection, Andersen referred to the area on the baseline where he stands during half-court sets as the “bird box.”

“I just do what I do, man,” Andersen said. “I don’t really think about how many shots I’ve made in a row or how good I am. I just continue to do what I do, and that’s come off the bench and bring defense and energy, run the floor, get to my spots.

“If LeBron calls me up, I’ll come up. If not, I’ll stay in the bird box.”

Andersen often hides a few feet from the paint along the baseline – the “bird box” – and cuts to the basket once his defender leaves to help on a driver, usually LeBron James or Dwyane Wade. Then, Andersen uses his good hands to catch a pass, elevates quickly and finishes with poise.

Plenty of players could fill that role, but Andersen’s defense and rebounding are why he has the job. And his colorful persona is why his area of the court has a nickname.

1. jtmartinez34 - May 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM

JOKE

• ceschatz - May 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Thank you for finally admitting that you’re a joke

• badintent - May 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Touche ! Nice

2. canehouse - May 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Bird is the word!

3. michaeljacksonisback - May 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Spurs are going clip the birds wings and burn the bird box down.

• fanofthegame79 - May 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I don’t think the Spurs match up against the Heat as well as everyone things. Bosh will play Duncan to a draw. The Heat will hold Parker in check with good defense, and whoever covers Parker will leave LeBron or Wade to cover Manu (I’m picturing Wade and LeBron covering Parker and Ginobli). Aside from that, the bench is a wash. Just because the Spurs destroyed the Grizzlies, doesn’t mean anything else. Remember, they had a hard time with an athletic Golden State team. And the Heat are athletic. But I’m not putting my cart before my horse, and the Heat still need to finish up the Pacers. Pacers, by the way, are more of a challenge to the Heat than the Spurs due the size of Hibbert and West and the length of Paul George. And while Duncan is better than Hibbert, Hibbert is a better post defender. And I’ll take David West over Splitter all day long.

4. miamatt - May 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM

The #1 offseason priority for the Heat needs to be re-signing Bird. I’d love to believe he’ll come back for the minimum, but if Miami has to use their mini-mid-level on him, so be it. It would be a best case scenario for any possible FA addition to help the Heat as much as *birdman-birdman*.

5. phillyphannn83 - May 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Not a Heat fan(obviously) but definately a Birdman fan. Love the terming of the Bird Box.

6. badintent - May 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

What no, Bird cage ? Chris is playing at a 6th man of the Year level. Nice.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches