May 27, 2013, 5:41 PM EST
When you have missed the NBA playoffs seven years in a row, it’s time to consider a new GM.
The new Kings ownership group under Vivek Ranadive understands that among the keys to making this team work financially in Sacramento is not to perpetually suck. It drives away fans and sponsors.
So in a shock to nobody, Ranadive reportedly told longtime Kings GM Geoff Petrie it was time they went their separate ways, reports Sam Amick at the USA Today.
And he talks potential replacements, too.
According to two people with knowledge of the situation, Ranadive has begun the process of finding a replacement for Kings President Geoff Petrie and is considering San Antonio Spurs President R.C. Buford, Golden State Warriors assistant general manager Travis Schlenk, and Memphis Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace. Former Indiana Pacers general manager David Morway may also receive consideration, and Ranadive’s internal list is not thought to be limited to this group. The people spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the search.
I get why Buford is on the list, it’s the same reason the Maserati GranTurismo convertible is on the top of the list of next cars I’m going to buy. Both are just about as likely to happen (Buford is not leaving the Spurs).
Chris Wallace was hired by Jerry West in Memphis (that would be the West who is now a consultant with Golden State, where Ranadive was a minority owner, so you know the connection) but is being squeezed out of his role with new ownership changing the front office in Memphis. That said, he put together most of the roster currently in the Western Conference finals.
Schlenk is among a number of really good assistant GMs around the league who will get a look.
Officially the new GM will decide the fate of coach Keith Smart, but I think we all know how that is going to end. The GM will hire the new coach, and look for Golden State’s Mike Malone and guys who understand a winning culture like Brian Shaw to get a look.
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 6
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- Beasley out, LeBron game-time decision; Heat not worried about Pacers right now 16
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)