May 27, 2013, 10:07 AM EST
Last season Chris Smith — the brother of Sixth Man of the Year J.R. Smith — spent time with the Knicks D-League affiliate.
The Knicks may want to add a more athletic, explosive point guard this summer (even if they keep both Pablo Prigioni and Jason Kidd) and the Knicks certainly want to re-sign free agent J.R. Smith. So signing Chris Smith could help with both those things, at least in theory, right.
One source said Chris Smith, J.R.’s younger brother, will not be considered.
“Chris is not an NBA player — not even close,” the source said. “He will never play for them.”
Outside re-signing J.R. Smith, the Knicks will be limited in what they can do this summer with free agents, essentially able only to sign guys with the mini taxpayers midlevel exception (around $3.2 million, the league has not set the official figures yet) and bring in minimum guys.
(The Knicks have J.R. Smith’s early Bird rights, meaning they can offer a contract just above the league average salary, likely around $5.5 million, for at least two and as many as four years. If another team came over the top with a larger offer, the Knicks could not match. However, Smith has said he wants to stay a Knick and New York wants him back).
Chris Smith recently switched agents over to CAA, his brother’s firm. J.R. might like to have his brother on the team, and CAA might push it, but it sounds like that is not going to happen.
Chris, of course, doesn’t see it that way.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14